What's new

Have you ever heard this ......

underdogger

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
755
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Went to a small historic town, and I mean a one or two light town. Upon walking into the villiage offices I was met by a very polite lady . "Can I help you sir " she said and I explained to her all about metal detecting hobby and I would like to enjoy this hobby in this townon Inquire about as to how one would go about getting permission. "Oh you do not need permission you just have to put back any thing that you find."Come to find out the lady I was talking to was the mayor. I wished I had a mirror in my pocket just to stick it under her nose to see if she could fog the mirror. Really! So they are Ok with me digging but just can not remove anything historic.

Well needless to say I should have never asked and suffered the consequences. Another lady told me there was a board meeting that night and she would take the matter in front of the board . I go back the next day and they gave me a polite lame ass excuse as what the board said, " what if he gets hurt on villiage property. This being said I noticed that all parks are now carry in and carry out. Meaning no trash cans. And you can now see in two out of three parks have removed thier tot lots Just love to hear if this is the case of other parks arround the country . Thanks Underdogger
 
That's the way our state parks are: detect all you like - just don't dig or remove anything from the soil.
 
If there aint a big frikin sign at the public park that says NO FRIKIN TECTIN then just go ahead and metal detect it. If the park is off limits to tectin, rest assured, you aint missin out on nothin, that place was cleaned out long ago by people like me, Etrac not withstanding. See you at the park!
 
underdogger, gleaner is right. Why did you even ask? I mean, you should simply have looked up potential rules for yourself (if you are skittish that there might be a rule). If there is nothing addressing the subject of metal detecting, then .... it therefore must not be prohibited. I mean, sheesk, would you ask if you can fly frisbees? I fear that what has happened to you now is the old "no one cares TILL you ask" psychology. Ie.: odds are, unless you were being a nuisance in some other way, no one would ever have paid you mind.

Now all you have done is simply precluded yourself, and others from here on after, from hunting.
 
"Ask if you can fly frisbees"? The L.A. City Council has banned footballs and frisbees from being thrown on its beaches! This is a new law enacted last week! It just gets crazier every week!
 
haha, Mike, when I used that analogy, I did so because I was reaching for something that would be "obviously" innocuous. But ...... doh ..... there actually IS a place where there is a rule regarding "flying frisbees", doh! Ok, then here's what we all must do now: Any place you intend to fly frisbees (and not just at L.A. beaches), you must inquire at city hall if it's ok to do. Afterall, you can't be too safe, right? ha

Seriously now, we'll change the analogy to this: "Would you ask permission to skip stones on the pond?" Please don't find a place that disallows skipping stones now :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom