That would be the way to go,just flip the switch when you need it.Ever find stuff you wouldn't have without it?I never leave home without my coal miner's light. What I call it any way. View attachment 1111830

I use a 225 lumen headlamp from Walmart which was only $22 , not a bad price for that many lumens...
I read up on "night searching in creeks" on another artifact website where some were singing it's praises. So last year I went out and bought the headlamp, and a powerful hand held light and tried it. I had no luck but maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. It might be just like others things in that you improve if you stay at it. (I only tried twice).
I have bought a few head lamps. I don't know who makes the one I have now but I love it. It has regular white lights. Those bluish tinted lights throw my depth perception off. Makes me feel drunk or something.
That would be dangerous in the creeks around here. Step on a slippery rock and you are done.
. But I'm in agreement with those who say that the lights buy them more time at dusk. I got lights for my kayak for the same reason (well, legal reasons too). During those wonderful spring and early summer days before the summer solstice. Kayaking home in the dark is a slightly eerie but beautiful thing. Really peaceful. And the lights keep me safe from other, more powerful boats.