jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a guy today who told me that the Oregon Dept, of Fish and Wildlife is marking the salmon spawning beds with a large led sinker and a plastic marker. He said he has watched them walk out into the river and place these directly on top of the eggs. He claims the plastic marker is causing the water to erode the silt off of the eggs. Also the led sits on top of the eggs for about three months or how ever long it takes them to smolt.( I think that's the right term) Any ideas on this.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes-they should leave the eggs alone as eggs are covered somewhat by the mom for constant aireation and anything like that plopped on them will destroy as specific gravity of lead is high. BUT fishermen,rafters,swimmers and kayakers stomp reds to death ALL the time so maybe a red flag will help??????-John

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jog, to answer your question " Have you heard of this?"

Have I heard of goverment stupidity? "Yes"

Not only have I heard of it but witnessed it also. Now I am being affected by it, deeply.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog..
Care to elaborate?

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jog said:
Gravel Hog..
Care to elaborate?

Elaborate maybe not but how about one example of some of the stupidity seen here.

California's goverment officials are so stupid they can't figure out which rivers and creeks the salmon are in so they closed all within the state and they pass it as emergency closure to protect salmon. :icon_scratch:

Oh wait, maybe they do, here have a look and I don't see any in the Mother Lode gold region. :dontknow:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/REsources/Coho/SAL_CohoRange.asp

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure about Cal, but in Oregon it seems that the fish are only allowed to go where ODFW wants the fish to go. Last year I was working and this ODFW truck kept driving up the rd, we where working on. A little blond head girl barely out of high school, she would go up and down this rd, several times a day. Well... my curiosity got the best of me and I stopped her to find out what she was doing.
To make a long story short they had a fish trap set up in a tributary creek and they didn't want the fish to go up that creek so they would catch them and transport them in a water tank in the back of the truck back down river 20 miles and turn them loose so a fisherman could catch them.
Let see anyone but the state do that! You and I would be in jail. And they wonder why there are no fish.
That's just one example, there are a lot more.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gravel Hog
thanks for that post
I have two claims on the North Fork Yuba River

Hoser John you bring up some interesting points.

I know the State can regulate, but its our federal right to mine.
maybe it's time to file a lawsuit for lost wages? or let us back in the water so we can dredge this season

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread