Have you moved since you started detecting?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I am curious to hear from people who have moved since they started
detecting and what they can tell about (guess you'd call it) ambient conditions
from one state to the other.

I am seeing quite a few differences in the finds for example from people on the
East Coast versus the West Coast. We get no Civil War bullets out here!!
And far fewer really old coins, say 1700s. I suspect since the East Coast had populations
running much further back in time that such a condition favors finding the very old
coins and artifacts that just don't seem to be in evidence out West.

Of course I could try the older settlements, like San Francisco and Sacramento,
but in my local area, the population was quite small, and I am wondering if
there is some way to gauge the to what extent population size and history
play in the spectrum of possible finds.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Monterey, CA - Radio Shack detector shallow finds.
San Antonio, TX - Fisher 1220X silver and good finds abound. Not sure about soil content.
Lubbock, TX - Same detector - Mostly clad, some oldies, hard soil to dig.
Biloxi, MS - No time for detecting, in school.
Rapid City, SD - Old coins and silver and some old bullets (1900 - present). Easy soil to dig.
Philadelphia, PA - Nice old coins found in parks within the city.
Seoul, ROK - No detecting for a year.
San Angelo, TX - Hard soil, good finds, they drained a lake and I had a field day as well as other detectorists.
Augusta, GA - Quit detecting for 5 years.
Baumholder, GE - Didn't bring detector (dumb move). Could have cleaned up on post in base housing. 3 years wasted.
Crestview, FL - Mild ground, okay detecting.
Alabama - Sometimes hard soil, coins don't drop very deep in some areas. Could be the hard soil.

This is the best I can remember.

Cal

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Wow, good job and good memory there, Cal!!
Thanks for posting.
Yeah, it pretty much confirms some of what I thought - like Philadelphia is way
old and Florida too, so older items found there.

UV

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Yes, from Maine to West Virginia (MEinWV). Well, in Maine I lived in a town that was settled in 1640. One of the oldest public buildings still standing in America is in nearby York , ME. The worst defeat in U.S. naval history took place on the ME. coast, sending Paul Revere and hundreds of other patriots heading back to Boston on foot. Exeter N.H. was the capitol of the colonies for a short period of time. Boston was only 90 miles to the south. In the 1800's, tourists flocked to the mountains and lakes of New England, by ships up the coast, and then by train and coach inland. In the late 1800's - early 1900's. the newest tourist craze was the ocean beaches. Those areas were very, very good to me! (my first 28 yrs. of detecting)

Here in WV it is a different story. There were settlers in the area in the mid 1700's, but no sizable populations until the 1800's.
I don't do nearly as much detecting here, and haven't found a whole lot of stuff (only 2 silver dimes in 6 yrs. here, mostly new park/playground stuff). I do a lot more arrowhead hunting here though, never did find one in ME.

I figure that whatever area of the country you are in, you should specialize in those areas. For instance, on the East coast, we only dreamed of finding the gold nuggets that detectorists find out West. And of course, all of us here in the U.S. are just drooling over the incredible finds that are being made in Europe.

Good luck!......................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread