Hawkins Zouaves Belt Plate Applied Number 9?

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi,
I'm am trying to find some information on the ordnance style buckles used by the 9th Hawkins's Zouaves early in the war. I understand they used the ordnance style belt plate some with applied ordnance bomb and some had the applied number 9. I also understand some were dug on Roanoke Island Camp Reno in the 1970's examples of both. Do you have any information. All help is greatly appreciated.

Enclosed 2 types, 1 with ordnance bomb, other missing numeral 9, but ghost of 9 present. I have never seen one with applied 9.

Talked with Herby Parham of Double Eagle fame last night, and he confirmed digging at least 2 with applied 9, same fashion as applied bomb device. He also noted a friend digging one with applied 9, same Camp Reno, Roanoke Island. The plate I sent you a photo with the ghost 9??? was also dug in the same camp with Herby in 1974. Herby said the first plate he dug on the Island was the applied bomb type, he noted he dug 7 in one day, and several where the device was missing. He is going to send me a picture of the one with applied 9, says the 9 looks like a standard hat number. It may be that the plates were so poorly made the bomb device fell off, and several soldiers replaced the bomb with a standard enlistedman’s number 9??? If that’s the case there is more than one example. I understand the engraved thicker plate for Co. C 9th was made for the color company.

I have emclosed photos of the ghost 9, and flaming bomb type both of Ronoake Is.

I have spoken to all the experts, and none have seen this plate with an applied 9. Herby is sending me a photo of the plates he has found with the applied 9.

It seems that only these plates have been dug in the 1862 camp on Roanoke Island, NC, and their 1862-63 winter camp in Stafford, Va.

Any information on plates used by Hawkins Zouaves during the war is greatly appreciated.

Chris Carroll
BA History NCWC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dougshause1

Feb 20, 2012
Virginia Beach,VA.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:weee: That is some nice buckle. Never saw one like that before. Great shape too. Congrats...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread