May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A little background first....

I'm a US military contractor working in Okinawa Japan. I've always wanted to go hunt for gold in Australia, and since it's only a few hours flight away, I figured that 2020 was the year that I scratch that off the bucket list. I'm planning on a late May to early June time window. 10-14 days.

Initially the plan was to do a Tag-a-Long tour group thing, but decided against that for a few reasons... none of which I'll get into here.

I've got the machine - GPX 5000 with about 4 different size coils. The largest is a Coiltec 22" mono. I figure if something happens to that machine, I can rent one from someplace.

I've been doing a lot of research on the Victorian goldfields, and have narrowed it down to Bendigo or Ballarat. Most likely going to be Ballarat. The Earth Resources website has been extremely helpful https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/licensing-approvals/recreational-fossicking/miners-right-agents but I'm still wanting some additional information about recreational prospecting.

1. Once I obtain a Miner's Right at the local office (Bacchus Marsh office) it's pretty much off to the fields. I'm not finding anything about a different pricing schedule for tourists like me, so I'm assuming it's the same price?
2. The biggest concern is WHERE to hunt. I'm not finding any defined map with boundary lines as to where you can or cannot hunt. The plan is to stick to Crown land, but like I said, it's hard to find a defined map of exact property lines.
3. Would it be possible to get a new SIM card for my Japanese phone when I'm at the Melbourne airport? It would be extraordinary to have a working phone when I get there. Maybe a phone rental????

I'm sure there will be some more questions, but for now this should at least get the conversation started.

Thanks in advance for all the help / suggestions

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Miners Right costs the same no matter where your from and its good for life. Each state has its own Miners Right so if you go from Vic to WA you'll have to get one for that state. Its cheap and important to have. As to the phone you can ask at the airport or just pick up a cheap phone for your stay.
Now where to go, I've been to the Golden Triangle and getting on land there can be difficult however there are plenty of prospectors shops in the region with maps and advice that can help you out. I worked out of Dunolly myself and at a shop there I hired a man to take me out and show me the lay of the land I would be detecting in. So that is one option. Maps are general, and mostly historical, but getting out there is really all you need to concentrate on. Fence Lines indicate Pastoral leases and mean keep out unless you get permission. Also be aware of pegged claims... again prospectors shops are a good source of information as well as the Mine's department when you go to get your Right.

Explore this site : https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/legislation-and-regulations/victorian-mining-register

Last edited:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed to Australia... Need advice

If it were me I would email "Rusty Henry",.........

He made a living detecting gold there for years before coming home and working for Tesoro.

He would be the best source of information I know of.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ask over on Steve H. website Detector Prospector dot com....lot of Aussie guys over there and maybe one of them will guide you along or maybe even put you on a spot or two...????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions