What's new

Headphone Impedence

jangles

Full Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
141
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I just purchased a set of jolly roger headphones and am waiting for them to arrive, my question is I just noticed there 16 ohm and all the better phones are like 150 ohm, will I be missing something by not going with the higher impedence? My manual for my M6 recomends 60 ohm.
 
not realy dig everthing and you will miss nothen. :thumbsup:
 
are you certain it is 16 ohms?

higher ohms equal better tone/frequency responce.

I just checked web site and yes 16 ohms.

unless you just wanted the ambient noise reduction of the padded muffs,I would send them back.
or sell them to someone that says the ohm's do not matter.

the closer the speaker ohm to the device specified ohm means better efficiency of the supplied electrical
current(your batteries may last a couple of seconds longer,and less emf bleed off wich is minuscule anyway).

when I upgraded from my old koss phones (100 ohms) to ratphones (150 ohms) I noticed a definite
increase of tone quality(like analog tv to hdtv to my ears).maybe the koss had material degradation over
time that I never noticed but most crucial would be that the r/p's has a better build of materials.

field test the phones and see if they work for you,everyone has there own preference.I just received
a pair of rattlers(same company) and they look like decent quality to me(no field test yet).
 
Your Jolly Rogers have volume adjustments, correct?

Volume adjustment is achieved by placing a resistive POT in the circuitry. This potentiometer varies the resistance (ohm value, ohmage, not homage) in the circuit path to change the signal amplitude, or in audio terms, volume.

There is a simple resistive circuit (shunt) in any decent audio path between source and output known as the impedance matching circuit that allows for maximum signal strength with minimum signal disturbance between the source (audio output of machine) and the load (headphone/speakers) used for your equipment.

Shouldn't be a problem!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom