HEADS UP

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TODAY I WENT TO THE COINSTAR MACHINE TO DUMP DIMES. i DUMPED 500.00 WORTH AND PUT A 1964 ROSIE IN WITH THE GROUP TO MAKE SURE IT COME OUT JUST TO DO A DOUBLE CHECK IN CASE I MISSED ANY.IT DID NOT COME OUT AND I ASKED THE TELLER TO CHECK THE REJECT TRAY SHE DID AND IT WAS NOT IN THERE. I WONDER IF THEY ARE GOING IN THE BAG AS DOES THE HALFS??? I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO MY SON MISSED 4 AND THE SAME COINSTAR SPIT THEM OUT, IT DIDNT DO THAT TODAY.

ANY THOUGHTS?

COOPER36

Upvote 0

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days you are the windshield, some days you are the bug.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
It seems to take about 40% of the coins. Sometimes it kicks it out, and sometimes it accepts them. (See bug illustration above)

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, thanks for taking one for the team. This confirms that I won't be using a Coinstar machine to do my searching for me, even if they have a tendency to reject silver (I'll still check those reject trays).

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised that people would trust a machine to reject silver in the first place.. I am assuming you just used this an an extra precaution incase your son missed some.. I think it may be time to double check the rolls he searches..

Last edited:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
TODAY I WENT TO THE COINSTAR MACHINE TO DUMP DIMES. i DUMPED 500.00 WORTH AND PUT A 1964 ROSIE IN WITH THE GROUP TO MAKE SURE IT COME OUT JUST TO DO A DOUBLE CHECK IN CASE I MISSED ANY.IT DID NOT COME OUT AND I ASKED THE TELLER TO CHECK THE REJECT TRAY SHE DID AND IT WAS NOT IN THERE. I WONDER IF THEY ARE GOING IN THE BAG AS DOES THE HALFS??? I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO MY SON MISSED 4 AND THE SAME COINSTAR SPIT THEM OUT, IT DIDNT DO THAT TODAY.

ANY THOUGHTS?

COOPER36

There are differences between a silver fdr dime that a clad dime that a coin counting machine can use to reject.
1) Weight 2.5 gram vs 2.3 gram
2) Electromagnetic properties 90% silver vs 92% copper
Nevertheless these differences are not large and the coin counting machines are not very precise

Most silver dimes in circulation are worn and thus often rejected by coin counters. I suspect your 1964 was relatively pristine.

Also try not to post in all caps.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not that big of a deal, or you would not have risked it in the first place. Just realize that it was not much money after all, order a box or two of dimes and you will make it back.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! Let that be a lesson to all you lazy guys that let the machine search for you. Never trust a machine :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised that people would trust a machine to reject silver in the first place.. I am assuming you just used this an an extra precaution incased your son missed some.. I think it may be time to double check the rolls he searches..
He didnt help me with this group.I did it as a precaution to see if i missed any. Yes i will be checking his "dumps"

OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are differences between a silver fdr dime that a clad dime that a coin counting machine can use to reject.
1) Weight 2.5 gram vs 2.3 gram
2) Electromagnetic properties 90% silver vs 92% copper
Nevertheless these differences are not large and the coin counting machines are not very precise

Most silver dimes in circulation are worn and thus often rejected by coin counters. I suspect your 1964 was relatively pristine.

Also try not to post in all caps.

MIhunter,
Yes you are right it was a 1964 that was in very pristine condition. Thanks for the advise. Lesson learned.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I learned something too. I always thought coinstar rejected all silver as well. Sorry you lost a silver. At least it was just a dime...

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
MIhunter,
Yes you are right it was a 1964 that was in very pristine condition. Thanks for the advise. Lesson learned.

It really depends. I got a really pristine 1964 dime from the reject tray of a Coinstar before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread