What's new

Heart pendant but made of what?

PChammer

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
337
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
I figured I'd throw this one on here as the last of my jewelry look-ups. It was my wife's grandmother's and I have no idea what it's even made of so my searching has been less than satisfactory. What it sounds like when tapped is porcelain but then again, with the coating, it could be wood for all I know. Seemed Victorian in style but still haven't found anything on this. There is no date, writings, etc... and I would imagine an enamel type covering? :dontknow:

Thanks!

Paul
 

Attachments

  • penw.webp
    penw.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 774
  • justp.webp
    justp.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 732
It looks like Mother of Pearl hand painted due to its very lite pink hue color Dd60
 
Upvote 0
It looks like Mother of Pearl hand painted due to its very lite pink hue color Dd60
Thanks, I tried searching that and didn't come up with any reference to it yet but I will try again :icon_thumleft:


Ok, here is another image. I don't have a scale so what I did was made one and checked the balance etc... and it weighs the aprox same as 4 pennies. That was without the chain. If I tap it, it feels like tapping a tooth, however, it does have a clear hardened coating.
 

Attachments

  • hpdnt.webp
    hpdnt.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 2010-06-30 18 23 20.webp
    2010-06-30 18 23 20.webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0
Porcelain or plastic?

Put it up against your lower lip. If it is cold, it is porcelain. If it is not cold, it is plastic, or you live in Arizona without A/C. :laughing7:

The decoration is a transfer. It has a clear glaze over that. Yours was sprayed on = not old.

--------

Ivory and metal are also cold. Plastic, faux ivory, and metal plated plastic are not cold. Ivory has a distinct grain.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, it stays cold. I even put it in the sun for a bit, held it up to my lip, still cold. Now, the necklace doesn't appear as it's ever been removed, the link that held the necklace to the pendant, cracked a bit, likely fake gold plated, when I carefully removed it to get the pendant off and the chain itself is white painted on enamel on the chain portion and so I do feel it was original to the pendant. However, the necklace is vintage or should be so it's a bit confusing. Here is another shot where you can see brush strokes on the white... don't know if that means anything or if they even are, perhaps ivory grain?
 

Attachments

  • 2010-06-30 21 08 14.webp
    2010-06-30 21 08 14.webp
    2.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 2010-06-30 21 10 28.webp
    2010-06-30 21 10 28.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
OK, hard to tell in the pics. Could be a brushed-on clear glaze. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
PChammer said:
Ok, it stays cold. I even put it in the sun for a bit, held it up to my lip, still cold. Now, the necklace doesn't appear as it's ever been removed, the link that held the necklace to the pendant, cracked a bit, likely fake gold plated, when I carefully removed it to get the pendant off and the chain itself is white painted on enamel on the chain portion and so I do feel it was original to the pendant. However, the necklace is vintage or should be so it's a bit confusing. Here is another shot where you can see brush strokes on the white... don't know if that means anything or if they even are, perhaps ivory grain?
lead paint might keep it cold
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
OK, hard to tell in the pics. Could be a brushed-on clear glaze. :dontknow:

It is hard to tell from the picture, but looking at it "in hand" the strokes or grain are definitely beneath the glaze and flowers.

Thanks,

Paul
 
Upvote 0
Ok, I talked to a fellow who was at a camp site with his family, he happened to be an antique dealer and was sure he could ID this for me. Then when I showed him the pictures on my son's laptop, he thought he knew and then said, "sorry, I have no idea, that's a very odd piece." I will cut out the hour and a half conversation in between of course, but anyway, here's where I'm at with this pendant... :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
 
Upvote 0
My thoughts on this charming little pendant are. As I said before, I think it's porcelain, hand painted, but thinking about it......maybe it's what is called an apprentice piece. Someone who is learning the craft, try making little pieces on their own as they progress thru various stages of learning.

U.
 
Upvote 0
Unicorn said:
My thoughts on this charming little pendant are. As I said before, I think it's porcelain, hand painted, but thinking about it......maybe it's what is called an apprentice piece. Someone who is learning the craft, try making little pieces on their own as they progress thru various stages of learning.

U.

That may very well be. I just wish I could find even an ounce of information on it. It doesn't appear to be machine made, it's too uneven and shows a bit of handwork. I could be wrong but it just, as you said, seems hand painted, at least the white part. I talked to another antique enthusiast at the 4th of July gathering here, and he was baffled too and knew of many types of jewelry and things but had no idea on this piece. :-\ I don't even know where else to look. I could try some jewelry sites, perhaps an online antique jeweler and hope for info.

Thanks again,

Paul
 
Upvote 0
Nobody has mentioned ceramic, it's what I first thought. But I am no expert. Just thought I'd some more irons in the fire :laughing7:.....NGE
 
Upvote 0
nowgittineverything said:
Nobody has mentioned ceramic, it's what I first thought. But I am no expert. Just thought I'd some more irons in the fire :laughing7:.....NGE

:D Well, every iron in the fire is a helpful one in this case. I found one "similar" searching the ceramic pendants but still very different at the same time, had a hole all the way through with a rope for a necklace, no chain hook, etc... and was signed by someone who painted it. Will still do some searching on ceramics though.

Thanks!

Paul
 
Upvote 0
Well, it's been a while and I have since searched all over for something on this and cannot find any info so will call this a wash. Thanks for the help all.

Paul
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom