Heart rock coincidence or man made?

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This heart shape rock was found by our river. It was up along side the river embankment on the flatter ground, it’s a pretty steep drop down to the river. Anyway, I remember exactly where we found it, and that’s the important part, IF it’s anything…lol

The area was very heavily populated with Native Americans (still is) not that it has anything to do with “this” rock…

I’ve found a lot of interesting rocks there. Some were found in a root system of a large old tree that had fallen down many years ago. This rock was found about 6 feet away from the tree. (I’ll try to get picture of this, when it stops raining) It’s heavily wooded and I found this rock during the summer, but was unable to check the whole area due to the thickness of the woods and my gimpy leg

However, this fall I’ve been able to get around in there a bit, and not too far from this area there is an old bonfire pit. The rocks have a lot of moss on them and pretty steadfast in the ground…but, I suspect that isn’t all that old. I will try to get out there and take picture of that too.

Chance or coincidence that’s it’s heart shape, or was it man made?

On the back on the left hand corner is where a chip fell out because when I picked up up, my ring hit it and that piece just simply fell off (I was bummed)

I know nothing about markers. Any help and input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• heart-rock1.jpg
    heart-rock1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 423
  • heart-rock2.jpg
    heart-rock2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 435
  • heart-rock3.jpg
    heart-rock3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 422
OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I was searching through the forum and found this thread
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,171852.msg1481234.html#msg1481234

Someone was very excited about finding a heart shape rock, which actually isn't as perfect shape of a heart as this.
I haven't read the whole thread yet...but will

I wish I could take better photo's to show more of the detail. I'd hate to pass it off as natural, then have it turn out to really be something. Course, that just could be my wishful thinking.

Some of the other stones I found there sort of defy "natural" forming...i.e. being too square on 2 sides, while having a smoothed out cavern next to the flat side and etc...hard to explain.
I will take a picture of one in particular, that has me as stumped as this heart stone.

Maybe I should have posted this in the area of where that other thread was (???) :)

Upvote 0

proberod

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
central Ok.
Detector(s) used
Whites/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to check the area where it came from it could be a marker with the other marks on it , the round hump a rock or hill the line a creek or ravine examine the surrounding area GOOD! and compare to the rock.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alchemy, The fact that your find is a sedimentary type of shale stacks the odds hugely against it being anything but natural.

Upvote 0

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cant resist this one, i does not look like a real heart , but it does look like the heart. there is a petroglyph of the heart in the Columbia river near where kennewick man was found. see picture. where i live we have a cave that is accompanying by a legend, it says there is a miniature mountain set in a heart shaped frame of rock. it turns to gold on the setting sun of the summer solstice. both these two hearts are man made so it is possible yours is man made as well.

Attachments

• minituremountain.jpg
    minituremountain.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 214
  • HEARTS11.JPG
    HEARTS11.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 215
  • heartcave.JPG
    heartcave.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 208
  • minituremountain.jpg
    minituremountain.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Just an un-educated guess here ... but if those deck boards the rock is sitting on are 2"X6", then your rock is pretty dang big, which leads me to suspect it is natural and not man made. If it was the size of your hand I would think differently, as it might then have been something more useable. Personally, I can see no useful purpose for a hand made rock that big! Native Americans were thrifty, but from what I know about them, they rarely spent that much time on ornimental items, and concentrated more on utilitarian things. The fact it was found "near" a river just reinforces my belief it is natural. If it was ever actually "in" the river, I suspect the concave part faced up-stream and the water flowing against gradually wore away the rock to form it into it's current shape. I'm no rock expert, but the rounded, smooth edges clearly seem to indicate it was in water at some point. But, like I said, this is just an un-educated guess. :dontknow:

It is totally cool looking though, and a definite "keeper!"

Upvote 0

proberod

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
central Ok.
Detector(s) used
Whites/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in central Ok. and have seen heart rocks with carving and scratches on them from the size of your hand to 6 plus feet I was just giving my thoughts on it so do what you will.As I was just giving my idea on what to look for to verify if it is a marker! ! ! ! !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread