• DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 802
  • DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0098.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 811

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
Hey y'all! That is the base of an M48 series point detonating fuze. It was usually found on high explosive rounds. We find them all the time at my job. I was Explosive Ordnance Disposal in the Marine Corps but now clean up old military bases of ordnance and military debris. From the looks of it it has both detonators expended, so it's safe to keep. The 2 smaller holes on the one side are for the impact detonator and the delay detonator depending on the fuzes setting when it was fired. The threads on the outside are where it would screw into the round. Good item just be wary of picking these up. They can still have live explosives in them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt'n Rusty

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I know you said it was already fired but the base weighed about 20 pounds and was solid. It had been laying on the beach and water for a while and was swollen. What does M48 stand for?

Upvote 0

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
M48 is the model number of the fuze. When a change is made to the model usually a letter and number is added. (I.E. M16A1 had triangular hand grips for the rifle an when they changed those handgrips to circular the designation changed to M16A2)
As for the fired weight. I'm assuming that you are talking about the shell that was found on. Some types of shells/rounds are designed to stay together after they function. Look up White phosphorous or Illumination rounds. Even Shrapnel rounds, that work a lot like a shotgun.
Hope this helps, and I there are any other questions about any of this or munitions functioning, feel free to ask!

Upvote 0

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
Lygore said:
M48 is the model number of the fuze. When a change is made to the model usually a letter and number is added. (I.E. M16A1 had triangular hand grips for the rifle an when they changed those handgrips to circular the designation changed to M16A2)
As for the fired weight. I'm assuming that you are talking about the shell that was found on. Some types of shells/rounds are designed to stay together after they function. Look up White phosphorous or Illumination rounds. Even Shrapnel rounds, that work a lot like a shotgun.
Hope this helps, and I there are any other questions about any of this or munitions functioning, feel free to ask!

Capt'n Rusty- I'm sorry, I was referring to the pictures on page one from Crustycrab.

Your fuze is definately a Time fuze. It can be either a Mechanical time fuze (much like a clockwork mechanism inside) or a Powder Train Time fuze (strips of black powder that burn slowly inside). I'll do some digging to identify the fuze for you.

Upvote 0

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
Lygore said:

Capt'n Rusty- I'm sorry, I was referring to the pictures on page one from Crustycrab.

Your fuze is definately a Time fuze. It can be either a Mechanical time fuze (much like a clockwork mechanism inside) or a Powder Train Time fuze (strips of black powder that burn for the time delay inside).

Upvote 0

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigcypresshunter, has the answer. Its a lock for a door. Sorry no treasure there

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread