Heavy brass rectangle with "MS" cut into it

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Hello,
I posted this item I found yesterday on Todays Finds, but except for a very kind Professor of Engineering, I have gotten no responses. I do not blame anyone because this is a tough I.D,. but I thought maybe by moving it here someone may recognize it.
The item is 3" by 1 3/8" and counting the lettering about 1/4" thick. It weighs 5.1 ounces and the background has been painted black. There are no signs of attachment hooks or anything else. The edges are tapered. That's about all I know about it at this point. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_7614.JPG
    IMG_7614.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7616.JPG
    IMG_7616.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 60

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ever hunted around Slate Hill?
Metal detected at the church at slate hill, and lots of places reasonable close by. Bottle hunted all around it in my youth and most likely everything within a 5 mile radius of it. Some big pieces of woods behind it and just over the hill from it towards Blenheim. Lots of old house places.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Metal detected at the church at slate hill, and lots of places reasonable close by. Bottle hunted all around it in my youth and most likely everything within a 5 mile radius of it. Some big pieces of woods behind it and just over the hill from it towards Blenheim. Lots of old house places.
Sounds intresting! My daughter-in-law's sister runs Blenheim Vineyard-maybe she knows some good spots.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try an image search at the US Patent and Trademark office.
However, in my experience, that tends to lead you down a long rabbit hole with little success.

My guess is it's a nameplate for some sort of heavy, industrial-type machine.
Something meant to take a lot of abuse and withstand the test of time.
I don't think it's a branding-iron, a marking punch, or anything like that. (?)

Sounds like a definite possibility to me!

I had already checked for US trademark registrations, but there are no registrations for 'MS' in that style... current or lapsed.

It can't have been intended as a marking punch in a conventional way, because it would produce and impression reading 'SM' with a backwards 'S'... although that doesn't negate the possibility of it being a 'forming die' (ie something in thin sheet being laid on it and then hammered to create a raised impression from below. Pretty unlikely though.

I would think the fact that it has black paint (or enamel or whatever) on the low relief portions says it was intended to be shown/displayed 'as-is'. Belt buckle adornment would make sense unless it's too heavy for that.

Upvote 0

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a trade school near us--Miller School--but I have never seen or heard of these being made there.

It could be a "one off" when I went to "Metal Shop" class I made many different items using the foundry. The shop had patterns that could be used or we could make our own, also there were a variety of letters in different fonts. It is possible that this was a student's initials or initials of his girlfriend.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I had already checked for US trademark registrations, but there are no registrations for 'MS' in that style... current or lapsed.

It can't have been intended as a marking punch in a conventional way, because it would produce and impression reading 'SM' with a backwards 'S'... although that doesn't negate the possibility of it being a 'forming die' (ie something in thin sheet being laid on it and then hammered to create a raised impression from below. Pretty unlikely though.

I would think the fact that it has black paint (or enamel or whatever) on the low relief portions says it was intended to be shown/displayed 'as-is'. Belt buckle adornment would make sense unless it's too heavy for that.
Thanks so much for checking--I hadn't gotten around to that! I received an email from the headmaster at Miller School near me, and he thinks it may be a one of a kind project from their machine shop way back in time. Looks and fels like a personalized paperweight to me now that i think about it. Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
It could be a "one off" when I went to "Metal Shop" class I made many different items using the foundry. The shop had patterns that could be used or we could make our own, also there were a variety of letters in different fonts. It is possible that this was a student's initials or initials of his girlfriend.
I think you are right on--I got an email from the headmaster at Miller School and he thinks it was someone's class project--perhaps a paperweight. thanks for sharing this information!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Couldn't it be a cattle brand? Or printing ink typesetting letters?

Possibly so. I got an email from Miller School near me and they think it was a one of a kind shop project from their school--possibly a buckle or paperweight. Thanks for your input though--it could well be what you are saying.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread