Heavy brass rectangle with "MS" cut into it

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Hello,
I posted this item I found yesterday on Todays Finds, but except for a very kind Professor of Engineering, I have gotten no responses. I do not blame anyone because this is a tough I.D,. but I thought maybe by moving it here someone may recognize it.
The item is 3" by 1 3/8" and counting the lettering about 1/4" thick. It weighs 5.1 ounces and the background has been painted black. There are no signs of attachment hooks or anything else. The edges are tapered. That's about all I know about it at this point. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_7614.JPG
    IMG_7614.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7616.JPG
    IMG_7616.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 60

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that yesterday but can't figure it out. Font looks 20th century.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's not, it could be, a paper weight. Have you cleaned it up yet? Would like to see it without all the dirt.

Upvote 0

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spitballing, I would say that is a High School foundry project that didn't get a high grade.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
If it's not, it could be, a paper weight. Have you cleaned it up yet? Would like to see it without all the dirt.
Cleaned it up a little. I will try and post photos.

Attachments

• IMG_7617.JPG
    IMG_7617.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7618.JPG
    IMG_7618.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I bet it was a door sign that was longer, with more letters originally. Maybe the last two letters were from "RESTROOMS"?

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I live very near Miller School and did the restoration on the science building when it burned many years ago. I have never seen anything like that associated with Miller School, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I bet it was a door sign that was longer, with more letters originally. Maybe the last two letters were from "RESTROOMS"?
That's a possibility, but all four sides are mitered or sloped, suggesting that the piece is complete. (But I may be wrong!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I live very near Miller School and did the restoration on the science building when it burned many years ago. I have never seen anything like that associated with Miller School, but that doesn't mean it isn't.
Thanks for that information--I have an email in to the school, but they've not yet responded. I know they used to make cast iron frog doorstops and probably other things, but I've never seen one of these MS things made by the school. You must live fairly near us--we're just out of Scottsville--used to play Miller School in baseball and basketball. Thanks.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for that information--I have an email in to the school, but they've not yet responded. I know they used to make cast iron frog doorstops and probably other things, but I've never seen one of these MS things made by the school. You must live fairly near us--we're just out of Scottsville--used to play Miller School in baseball and basketball. Thanks.

As a crow flies, I am about 1 mile from the school. Did you find this in Scottsville?

Upvote 0

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good to see your still around

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could try an image search at the US Patent and Trademark office.
However, in my experience, that tends to lead you down a long rabbit hole with little success.

My guess is it's a nameplate for some sort of heavy, industrial-type machine.
Something meant to take a lot of abuse and withstand the test of time.
I don't think it's a branding-iron, a marking punch, or anything like that. (?)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Weird as it sounds, but with what looks like 2 solder/attachment points on one end and a single solder/attachment point opposite, it has the appearance of a belt buckle. Homemade or store bought beats me.

Just saying.......
I see the points you are speaking of-wow, that would be cool if it was a belt plate of some sort! Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
However, in my experience, that tends to lead you down a long rabbit hole with little success.

Thank you--I will give that a try!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008

Sounds like a definite possibility to me!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread