Hello All, new to the site

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
hello all, I'm Bill from the east coast of NC, Wilmington NC to be exact, I have metal detected a bit in the past and had an old whites that was stolen from me years ago, and want to get back in to detecting....I live on the beach and there are plenty of battle sites around me, so theres plenty of places to hunt...any suggestions for a nice detector in the $500usd range?.....look forward to posting my finds and meeting some good folks here----Bill

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
You've put two places together that will really affect the type of machine to get - beach and battlefield. Tell us a little more about how you intend to hunt the beach. That is the tough one.

Daryl

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
BioProfessor said:
You've put two places together that will really affect the type of machine to get - beach and battlefield. Tell us a little more about how you intend to hunt the beach. That is the tough one.

Daryl

Hi Daryl, mostly my beach searching will be dry sand, maybe a little wet search, but no in water detecting, I plan to search the Civil War battlefields as well (the legal areas) and old home sites. I am looking at a Garrett GTP 1350

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Since you won't be hunting wet sand, you can stick to most of the common coin and relic machines. Here are some in your price range. Take a look at them. It's a good starting point.

Daryl

Tesoro Tejon Metal Detector - Relic mostly
RETAIL $699.00 OUR PRICE $559.20

Tesoro DeLeon Metal Detector - Coin mostly
List Price $599.00 Our Price $479.20

Fisher 1270 - Coin & Relic
List Price: $699.95 Our Price: $559.95

Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus - Relic & Coin
List Price: $599.95 Our Price: $509.95

Garrett GTP 1350 - Free Shipping Target ID Coin & Relic
List Price: $699.95 Our Price: $594.95

Minelab X-Terra 50 - Mostly coins
Retail $699.95 Our Price $598.95

Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro - Mostly Relic
Retail $599.95 Our Price $499.95

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bill,
The machines Daryl gave are all fine detectors for what you have in mind. I would also recommend the Tesoro Vaquero as a fine detector for the type hunting your planning. Note that none of these detectors are at their best in the wet saltwater sand, but fine everywhere else. Tesoro detectors have a lifetime warranty also. Check with Tony at tcmetaldetectors.com for more advice and a good deal. Tony has helped many here with getting the correct detector for what they need.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Thank you all for the replies, so many detectors to choose from, I think I have narrowed it down to the following

Garrett GTAx 550

Ace 250 with extra coils

both seem to have good reviews and fall in my price range

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread