Hello Folks, this is my first post. I just found this copper ring on a beach in Okinawa, Japan. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at? Thanks!

kegster

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2006
Rockwall, Texas
IMG_0731.jpeg

adaniellebayer

Greenie
Jul 22, 2022
Hi ya kegster, nice find, with a cool design.
If you don't already do it, scuba dive in Okinawa, really cool stuff to find there. Plus a lot of fishing net sinkers in the pools in the lava. Used to dive there in the early 80's, and one of my dive partners found a huge gold ring below a drop off at the bottom, took up most of his finger. Just watch out for the sea urchins, sharp, sharp, sharp!
It looks like a sun or circle in the center, some Indian medicine circles have patterns with circles in the center..maybe Chinese medicine (Japanese(

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a sun or circle in the center, some Indian medicine circles have patterns with circles in the center..maybe Chinese medicine (Japanese(

Did you not read the previous replies correctly identifying it as a "vegisvir"... a magical symbol to help travellers find their way?

One poster attributed it as Viking and it's frequently misidentfied as such but, as I said, it's origins seem to be Icelandic and it's unknown until 800 years after the Viking age ended. It first appears in the Icelandic “Huld manuscript”, put together by Geir Vigfússon in 1860, using earlier published books containing “magical staves”. Where Vigfússon got the design from is not known, but he may have created it himself as a composite since there are no known (confirmed) depictions before his 1860 manuscript

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread