Hello from Gloucester!

Mar 31, 2008
I have been lurking in on the treasurenet forum for a while and wanted to say hi. I got hooked on detecting growing up in Poquoson and am fortunate to have recently received permission to hunt on private property where some CW activity was. The site has never knowingly been detected, going back to the 50's. I detected it today for about 3 hours for the first time but only managed to find a lot of clad coins with the MTX I was using. The yard seemed to be packed full of them. I also do a bit of detecting out in Poquoson and on my land here in Gloucester. My uncle owns some farm land in N.C. where some of the trenches from the Battle of Kinston was located. I've found some balls, buttons and other items, but nothing extraordinary. The field has been detected heavily. In the 80's, hunters were finding muskets, pistols, a sword and other items. When I was there hunting, one gentleman had the nerve of pulling over and bragging about how he recently pulled a canonball out of my uncle's field. When I told him it was my uncle's property and whether he had asked for permission to hunt, he quickly drove off.

I was wondering if anyone could share some techniques for preserving artifacts? Also, if I am lucky enough to find any cannonballs, who do you contact to have them rendered safe?

Thanks,
Patrick

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Patrick, can`t believe no one else has welcomed you yet. I don`t venture here to tnet that much now a days, again sorry no one else had welcomed u before.

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Never detected Gloucester...always interested

that place goes back a long ways. Not sure what you mean by CW activity on the Gloucester land. If a camp, look for high ground but near water and reasonably near a period road. If skirmish, stuff could be anywhere.

Recommend you go to the Relic forum here or you can try Relic Forum on TreasureSpot for info on preservation. It all depends on the relic - lead you generally don't want to do anything other than get the dirt off. Buttons, buckles different story. Iron generally takes electrolysis. The bottom line is less cleaning is best.

Fused cannonballs can be disarmed by a couple folks up in Northern Virginia. Do not whack them with a hammer or put them in a stove or fire...other than that should be pretty safe until you can get them disarmed. If you want to keep them, I wouldn't suggest letting any of the local authorities know.

read, read, read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread