PLat books or maps

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Ok, this question may sound elementary for most of you. But, I thought I saw something somewhere here on TNET about plat books or maps. I am very new to doing any research of this kind. I think, if memory serves me, I read that plats can give land owner and area 411. So now, how do you find plats? Thanks for all the help and assistance you can provide.

Gary

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Really, thanks a ton. This is a great start. Now to just take the 411 and put it to great use. Thanks again.

Gary

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Gary,

If you can, you can try to courthouses too...both in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Also remember, much of Norfolk's court records may also be in the Chesapeake courts, as Chesapeake was at one time part of Norfolk. As one clerk there told me, when I asked why she had records there with NORFOLK on them....they, the City of Chesapeake, felt those books should be in their courthouse since it was on their land, now the City of Chesapeake, even though it was part of Norfolk County at the time....

If I'm not mistaken, the Virginia Beach Central Library .... I believe they have maps too....my hubby said they did, I haven't been in a while to check it out. Also, try the Kirns Library in Norfolk...also the historical societies in Va Beach and Norfolk.

I have found the folks at these courthouses very helpful...atleast they were to me :)

Good Luck!
Annmarie
PS: have you gotton down to Witchduck Road yet to detect? I haven't...been so busy. I hope I can get there next week...it's past the 4-6 week window the City Manager told me to wait....good luck if you do. Maybe I'll see you there.

jaggyd

Jan 2, 2008
I have looked at the sanborn maps before, but I don't find virginia beach as an option. Anyone know how to look for that?

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Hey Ann, thanks for the 411. I have looked at the "sanborn" maps, so the court house can help locate the owners of a particular spot on a plat map? Let me see if I can get this, you can find a particular area on a plat map and that will give you a number and you can get the 411 related to that number or plot from the courthouse? I guess it may help to also have a current overlay due to street and landmark changes. If this seems elementary, I do apologize, as I have never done any kind of research like this. Ann as for "Witch Duck Road" I haven't been down there yet. I also have been very busy. But, the kids are away for the next three weeks for summer vacation and I will have some time to do such things. If you decide you can make it, just let me know. It would be great to get up with someone and hit this spot. Right now I really don't have any where to detect. The farm I was hitting has the crops in now. That was the only place I had and it really is hard to find new places. Good luck to you Ann if we don't catch up soon, I will see you at Pipsico in Oct. Thanks for everything.

Gary

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
newbieprospector said:
Witchduck?!?...whats goin on at Witchduck, it's right down the street! :wink:

They tore down so many homes to widen Witchduck Road. I spoke to the City Manager (of Va Beach). At the time I spoke to him, he asked we waited 4-6 weeks before detecting, as a couple of homes were still standing and the cops were patrolling as vandals helped themselves to some items they had no business taking!!! Plus the workers had equipment there to tear down the remaining homes. Mid-April was the end of the 6 week waiting period and I have YET to get out there to detect....work, kids, so much to do, so little time (besides the rain and now the heat LOL)

So, you can metal detect where those homes were, as per the City Manager. I have his name and number written down on a piece of paper...gotta find it.....oh, if I remember correctly, it's not going to be till 2010-2011 till it is widen....so to be on the safe side....I would say a good year left to metal detect!!!

I am located behind BJ's Wholesale Club, back in that neighborhood....just a hop, skip and jump from Witchduck :wink:

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Too cool! Looks like I'll have to take a drive down Witchduck and look for the area you're talking about. If you could remember the City Manager's name I would really appreciate it, just in case...to avoid any hassles :wink: I'm just outside the Little Creek base so it's just a hop, skip, jump away. It will be my first opportunity to detect in VA! Thank you sooooooo much for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread