Hello!

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Just getting into the hobby once again after 30 years. My father bought me a cheap Radio Shack MD at the age of seven and I walked miles with it.
Years later and having a family of my own; I'm looking to get back into it once again.
I'm seeking some advice on purchasing a MD without breaking the bank. I'm seeking something that is easy to use.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. I was thinking of starting with a Ace250 and I reside in Minnesota.

Jonathan_K

Dec 24, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! I'm new as well, my wife gave me the Ace 150 for Christmas. From what I've read, both the 150 and 250 seem like good MD choices. I'm sure the 250 is probably a bit better than mine, but I'm happy at the moment.

OP
OP
BertC

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Welcome! I'm new as well, my wife gave me the Ace 150 for Christmas. From what I've read, both the 150 and 250 seem like good MD choices. I'm sure the 250 is probably a bit better than mine, but I'm happy at the moment.

Hi Jonathan. I read that the only difference between a 250 and the 350 is the coil. That's why I want to go this route. I do however like the 150. Due to price. This could be my choice as well.

OverKill

Jul 4, 2009
Dunlap , Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Tennessee , and Welcome to the site
headbang.gif

I use the Ace 250,and do just fine, I'd recommend it,or for a little extra $ get the 350 it has better discrimination ,and a higher frequency,and a DD coil.
Then going up the ladder in price is the newer AT Pro,which everyone these days are using.

OP
OP
BertC

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
And on another note: my wife isn't as great as yours! Congrats on the new MD! Pretty nice of her!
My wife thinks there's no benefit to owning one. I can't wait to pick off a nice ring or something.
Merry Christmas to you!

Jonathan_K

Dec 24, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price of the 150 isn't bad, and for my wife knowing even less about MD's than me, which isn't much, I think she made a good choice for my first one. Whichever you pick, I think you'll be happy! (Always nice to have a few more features, like the 250, of course... heh)

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Bert C The 250 seems to be a good start out detector and Garrett has good service. I'm sure their will be others here giving you advice. If you haven't got one yet try Bart at Big boy Hobbies he's on this site and tell him your on this site to. Good luck and HH Junker

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Bert and good luck in your new(old) venture.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Bert, for a little more $ the at pro, good luck detecting

OP
OP
BertC

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Welcome Bert, for a little more $ the at pro, good luck detecting

I heard the same but what are the benefits between a AT and a 350? I've read forums and it seems that I can't get any info.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main differences between the detectors you mentioned:
Ace 150 - same as 250 but no pinpoint feature
Ace 350 - larger DD coil , better depth, better target separation, higher frequency for better iron discrimination
AT Pro - ground balance capability to reduce effects of soil mineralization, target ID numbers ,higher frequency , better depth, waterproof to 9 feet

Give me a call if I can answer any questions for you.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from N. Mississippi.

Top Member Reactions