help about at pro!!!!confused

jasone

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please anyone who knows about at pro...while digging it beeps from 55 to 90 and shows 25 plus cm.i dig again it beeps and shows 10 cm.i dig again and remove some rocks,test the machine over the rocks nothing,test again in the ground beeps but nothing found.because of the small space of the hole i am forced the coil to touch some rocks around and i noticed that beep sounded most times while the coil touching rocks around or the ground ,but when i remove the rocks and test on the rocks nothing sounds.what is going on???the indications are very strong always between 55 and 90 and i consider at pro as a reliable machine and has helped me a lot so far.but,is there any possibility the rocks to disorientate the machine?the fact that it beeps most while touching the rocks first means that the indication is wrong?can u please experienced garett users help me?i know a pin pointer would be a solution but i cant afford it right now. thanks a lot in advance.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try turning your sensitivity down a little and see if that helps. Run in pro mode. If you are not running any iron discrimination, you might be breaking the halo of rusted iron when you dig the hole.

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a target yesterday that I swore was a deep silver dime, the id was all over the place but the tone was high and repeatable (in pro zero iron disc 35) but faint, I pinpointed and dug, nothing with the pointer after digging to 8+ inches, I combed through the dirt and found one small super thin piece of foil, im talking maybe 1/8"x1/8". The pro pointer would not hit on it but running it under the coil by hand duplicated the high clean tone, best guess is the foil was at around 2-3 inches, these at's can be sensitive enough to have you chasing ghosts due to hitting on really small conductive targets.

OP
OP
J

jasone

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your quick replies.well,i run in pro mode,but the beep sounds also in simple mode,full sensitivity.beep sounds both custom and coin programs.the signal seems to be very clear but it USUALLY comes after the coil touches the rocks on the walls of the hole first.the ground is clear from other objects and also i am deep enough .would a video while searching in the hole help u understand if the sound and the indications show me real objects or nothing??i am in the hole and the machine beeps,,,u belive theres an object there or it might be a false signal from the rocks>???

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Like others said its probably a tiny target like small nail, foil, etc. those targets are hard to find no matter how good you are. Save for a propointer and it'll solve that issue, it did for me.

OP
OP
J

jasone

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are no possibilities for nails foil etc because the place is away from man's activities and the hole is deep enough so its unpossible for these items to be there.therefore i am hoping it beeps the object i am looking for,but i dig on rocks,i remove the rocks,i tst on the rocks,nothing sounds.you are right i propointer its the suitable ..

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this happen frequently with the most tiny targets possible. It's simply astonishing what a tiny scrap of metal this will detect.

I have had to use my pin pointer more times then I can count holding dirt in the palm of my hand, the pin pointer is vibrating but I see nothing! then a strand of electrical wire shows up about 1/4" long and black with age. This after digging 5-7" deep to find it!

The AT Pro with that big coil will not miss much if anything, but it might make you dig a lot more then you would like. I have come to the conclusion that setting the sensitivity to about 1/2 is best in parks and where the digging is tough. With my sand scoop on the freshwater beach I raise it to the top. Scooping sand and not having to bend over makes it easy to scour the beach quickly.

At an old homestead I would have high sensitivity to look deep for relics, parks with junk low sensitivity only looking shallow for coins and jewelry, beaches higher sensitivity to go deep cause it's easy digging.

I suppose I also feel it's a bit like flying. You must trust your instruments so you don't fly into the side of a mountain in the fog. With the AT Pro, if it's talking to you the prudent choice is to listen carefully. Learn what its saying to you.

OP
OP
J

jasone

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so,,the indications i take are between 55 and 90.could these indications mean golden coins which are the objects i am looking for???

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SLOW down there jasone.
First, small foil, and I mean even the SMALLEST WILL sound like rockin' solid silver/gold targets, every time. You know the stuff, real thin, SUPER thin, your amazed the detector could even find it.
Second, if you bump your coil on a rock, ground, hard branch, whatever, it will Sound off like a good target.
Third, make sure you wrapped your coil ABOVE the stem/clockwise and not under it. Above as in touch the coil, now the cord, it should be curled OVER your stem towards the right to start.
Fourth, turn down your sensitivity. Try running only 3-5 blocks filled.
Fifth, if your VDI is jumping around that much, chances are it's junk. BUT, if you hear a nice tone in there, why the hell not dig it eh?
Sixth, you need to buy the Garrett ProPointer. And I really don't care who says otherwise on this one lol.
Seventh, remember to ground balance occasionally. Nothing wrong with doing it every 30-45mins, it gives me piece of mind actually.
Eight, Kick ass yo, good luck:).
so,,the indications i take are between 55 and 90.could these indications mean golden coins which are the objects i am looking for???

clf_02

May 7, 2012
Natchez, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found pieces of pennies hit by mowers with my at pro. Some as big as a bb. Pin pointer will not go off unless the tip touches it. But the tiny brown piece blends with the dirt. Drives you crazy. They ring up 79 - 84 on my pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread