help figure this out. . . how old? what kind of tool?

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P9180003.jpg An Illinois find: looks like a hand chopper or hand axe. What do you think? Any guesses on age? era?

P9180002.jpg

P9180001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first photo shows a groove made into the rock.

the second photo shows a chipped edge. There is a larger chip, perhaps made during use.

The third and fourth photos show an elliptical groove made into the fat side of the piece.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be funny but, it still looks like a natural rock to me. Good luck and keep hunting because there's plenty more artifacts waiting to be found out there. :icon_thumright:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, It looks natural. I don't see any work do to it by human hands.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no evidence of that stone ever being altered or utilized by man.

Saying that, and before you argue with us, I give you this assessment with 53 years of collecting experience which is practically my entire life. Others that responded in kind have as much or more than I so we are not trying to mess with you. We are trying to help. I hope you choose to listen to us. Thank you.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its limestone. It chips naturally and not used by native Americans unless it was for tempering pottery. Not an artifact. Keep looking.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't solved. the edge has many chips making it sharp. It's an artifact.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it's not limestone, but a blackish/gray chert or flint, with an outer greenish/white florescence of sorts.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tell us this, what would its possible use be? It is not chert either as the flake off the edge proves. It is softer and has cracked by natural forces or machinery. Tools were made for a reason hence the same similar shapes are found far and wide. That is just a rock. Keep looking and you will find a real artifact.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA100007.jpg

PA100005.jpg

PA100006.jpg

If you were to hold this and see the flaked edge of the blade side. . . and recognize that the hand side is carefully cut out. . . and see the rubbing of the ellipse on the hand side and the groove made on the side, you'd recognize the artifact here. Photos don't really help much, unfortunately. This, in my estimation, was a paleo or archaic hand axe or chopper, which was used---and the large chip came out during use, rendering it useless as a tool, thus the owner considered using the rock for smaller tools.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why when we clearly don’t know everything are there so many books and people saying only look for these few things.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why when we clearly don’t know everything are there so many books and people saying only look for these few things.

There are man made stone artifacts that fall under the heading "problamaticals", meaning they are either clearly man made or they show utilization by humans, but their purpose or function is unknown. Sometimes they are one-offs, so they won't likely appear in artifact guides. Sometimes they are well known classes of artifacts. Plummets would be one such example of such a class, several theories having been offered to explain the function of plummets.

Nobody has ever said one cannot find a one-off artifact that falls into the heading "problematical".

However, what does not prove questionable, what is not subject to debate, is that experience studying both rocks and artifacts brings individuals to the point where recognition does become second nature, and it becomes extremely easy to recognize when a rock is a rock, and an artifact is an artifact. This is a skill set in essence, and it takes time to bring one's skill in distinguishing rock from artifact to that second nature level.

Usually, but not always, people who insist that a rock is an artifact lack the needed experience to have that skill set. As well, they usually don't understand that distinguishing rock from artifact requires time and experience. In a virtual format such as an online artifact forum, the needed experience cannot be transferred to the uneducated beginner. It takes time, and as we see so often here, some people refuse to learn. They refuse to understand these things take time. It's a skill set and it's a learning curve. Simple as that. Folks who have that skill set, born of experience, can render accurate opinions very easily and quickly. Sadly, sometimes you can bring a horse to water, but you just can't force him to drink it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread