Help fine tuning whites spectrum xlt

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Ok, so here she is, 1st off my pinpoint toggle is broken so I cannot pin point have to make crescent then use my pin pointer.. Here's my problem... I've been hunting about 4 acres of land where 2 different generations of 3 houses that were all built on top of each other, before that in the teens it was a hunting camp site, before that it was a union outpost.. I'm in SE LA, the last houses built there were in the 60's they were torn down.. There has been no fill dirt and they leveled the land with the same dirt that was in the drag path of when the houses were torn down, so it's so trashed mixed with so many different types of metals of different sizes I'm having a hard time discriminating.. Now in the clean areas I've found about $3 face value of quarters dimes and wheaties all coins pre 64 including a buffalo nickel and a 1944 Australian Florence with an S mint mark. Don't ask me???... Can anyone help me with using custom settings so I can exclusively shoot for coins in the dirty areas... I don't have the manual and never was really able to understand it when I had it.. Thnx all who read and or reply

Upvote 0
Well Lad, You've come to the right place! In My Opinion if I had a spot like yours with all the potential I would first make certain the machine was working 100% correctly. I suggest you contact Whites in Sweet Home Oregon to see if they will fix it for you, they will, but do not wait as some of the parts may soon be unavailable.

Next, you can go to the whites site on the internet and download the manual from their manual section.

Then jump over to the Whites Metal Detecting Blog and download all kinds of XLT programs. There is one fellow there, their moderator - de Ole Sly Fox, who's program's are well thought of.

Also you should know to keep a camera handy when you go out with your White's. Take pictures of the finds with the XLT in the picture and submit the pictures to Whites for the Calendar contest and/or for their product page of "Customer Finds". If your pictures/story are chosen they will offer you a $100 gift certificate for allowing them to use your picture and words. This is a great way to purchase new coils OR the certificate can also be used for repairing a Whites machine. You have an awesome area to hunt, have fun, do well, take pictures, get some freebie's and keep playing...................63bkpkr

198_9871.JPG 198_9826.JPG This is my XLT Spectrum with all its accessories including TDK wireless earphones

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that info, especially the preset downloads!!!!!!! Love this site

If I were hunting that site I would not use discrimination, but just turn tone ID on. You will be able to hear the high tones and dig only good targets. If you have unlimited time at this site, then that is in your favor.
Unfortunately the XLT is a fast sweep machine. When targets are many, it can be difficult to isolate them.
The 5.3 inch coil is good, but a slow sweep machine like the cz7 would be my approach.

I missed the sidewalk, going to the dirty area mentioned here with tone id for about 90min. Wish me luck. Will post pics

If you just want coins, I'd use the coin program with a small coil and as much sensitivity as it can take without falsing. I doubt all 4 acres is that junky so I'd only use it when needed. Personally, I'd probably start by cherry picking and then once I found a spot that gave up some good coins, I'd dig every sound to see what I missed. That way I could decide if the rest of that area is worth doing the same or if eliminating the iron is worthwhile.

Fox's settings are known to be Good! I purchased my XLT with the stock coil and then added on the rest as time went by. They all have their uses and I've not used them enough to have learned them but both the little coils, the concentric and the DD, are real good finders of the right kinda stuff.

Good luck at the sidewalk tear up site! I found my first gold ring at a site like that, I could not believe what my eyes were telling me!!!!

Have fun,..................63bkpkr

I keep getting burned or say melted aluminum, hits as penny though and it's driving me nuts. My brother and I found a old park we believe to be untouched, going to use 1 of those on the website to shoot as good as I can for just coin

Photos as requested.. Found junk and no coins but I hit silver!!

Attachments

• image-1091664624.jpg
    image-1091664624.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 155
  • image-3372790463.jpg
    image-3372790463.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 186
  • image-4002676358.jpg
    image-4002676358.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 194
  • image-2489552262.jpg
    image-2489552262.jpg