HELP! first find, old ring???

• Thread starter MaineMartialArt
  • Start date
M

MaineMartialArt

Ok, My name is Evan, I live on a small island in Maine and this is my first real find besides clad Lincolns and my own shell casings. (Haven't been out of my yard yet.) Found with my GTAx about a foot or so down in very hard packed rocky Maine soil. At first inspection I though it was trash, a pipe fitting or cut off end, especially since it was oxidzed green which obviously implies copper.

When i got inside I started to look closer and could see what looked like a face or shield or "A" shapes with cross shaped indentations. I knew I shouldn't but I could not help cleaning it off to get a closer look so i used some mild hand soap and a soft plastic toothbrush to clean it. What happened next was one of the most exciting moments of my life, I'm sure you guys (and gals) understand. I could hardly contain myself... I might have found a ring!

Anyway, here are some pics, it looks like the two "A" shapes are actually the relief around some six sided cross shapes, it looks like all the "arms" of the cross are the same length although I'm not positive. Although one side is more corroded the same design goes all the way around the ring. Anyone know what these symbols are exactly, if so what they mean/represent, possible age of the piece?

Also, even if it's worthless it is priceless to me and I will never forget the moment I first dug it or the moment I realized the design was man made not a coincidence. So, I would like to prevent any further degradation than there already is, what's the best way to preserve it and prevent any more damage?

Thanks so much for looking and any help all!

Attachments

• ring 003.jpg
    ring 003.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 479
  • ring 008.jpg
    ring 008.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 441
  • otherside2.jpg
    otherside2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 437

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Welcome MMA! I wish I had some vauge idea... great find, though. Here's to hoping it can be attributed to the Vikings that were in your area!!! -Ben (in NH)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Thanks so much guys. I am still on a pink cloud from yesterday. When I originally thought it was a face of some kind I was thinking Celts and Vikings for sure, especially since reading about some Viking finds here in Maine. I wouldn't even know where to start, I checked Ebay but there is over 6,000 "antique" rings. Then I looked at cross and other symbols but could only find an eight-armed cross, not six. I don't think it's that old but what do I know? It was pretty deep at least twice as deep as the clad lincolns which were 4-6 inches deep and dated 1963-1983 (house was built in 1984-85).

As soon as I saw it was something I was so excited, but then a sick feeling came over me... what if I cleaned it wrong or something... The guy at the detector shop told me "don't even look in your yard you will just frustrate yourself" man am I glad I didn't listen to him! Turns out he doesn't even detect! jeez....

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
That's old copper alright, and I would suggest that its North American, not European. Probably a fur trader or the type of trinket ring used by traders to barter with Native Americans. It's worth a few bob to a collector of pioneer relics. If your interested in getting it valued, I would start with someone who deals with native American or early sttler relics.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Those are 2 arrow heads pointing towards each other. I've seen that symbol somewhere before but I can’t remember where. Nice find.

Upvote 0

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Really neat find! Sometimes I forget how old the findings can be here in the U.S., especially on the east coast. Great diggin!

let us know when you find out more.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant said:
Those are 2 arrow heads pointing towards each other. I've seen that symbol somewhere before but I can’t remember where. Nice find.
Looking beside the "arrowheads" there is like a star type symbol?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Yes I see the star as well. Originally I thought the design was the pac-man/sideways letter A shape/arrowheads but i think that may be the relief around the star. It seems like a six pointed star, not sure if the vertical "arm" of the star is longer or if they are all the same length. Can't really tell if it's like an asterisk all arms equal or more like a baptismal cross where the distance between the two horizontal arms is less than the distance from the vertical arm to the horizontal arms. Anyway here is what I think I see:

Attachments

• ringedit.JPG
    ringedit.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0

big joe

Sep 17, 2006
The guy said don't look in your yard???? That's what hooked me 15 years ago.... Wife lost wedding ring in the front yard, I got a Radio Shack cheapie to hunt with, 5 minutes into the hunt I found a man's wedding band! Great find, and good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MaineMartialArt

Yep, I could not believe it. A friend of mine didn't have much luck in his yard either, but he did find some clads at least. When I bought the detector I was talking with the guy and mentioned that. Supposedly he took one of the "floor models" home for a week and checked his yard and found "nothing." Not even trash! (he claimed) I said well maybe there was something wrong with the detector or the settings. "Nope" he says, "last time I'll try that" Oh well... More for us right?

My house is pretty new (1984-85) so I wasn't expecting anything besides trash and clads, figured I would just learn the machine a bit before going to a site. Man I'm glad I did. It may be just dimestore junk, a fur traders American Indian trinket specialty, maybe someone lost it while walking before the land was cleared. My imagination goes crazy with the possibilities. Whatever it is, I love it and now I'm hooked too. And I will be searching the rest of my property and the area around for sure.

So did you end up finding the wife's ring as well?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions