Help – Has anyone used this detector?

1beachcomber

Help – Has anyone used this detector?
Brand – Discovery Metal Detector
Model: MD-1023
Processor: ATZ-37
Made in China
I am after some feed back or your comments good/bad on this detector for a first-timer to use before going onto the more expensive & professional Models & Brands.
I would only be using the detector on the beach and maybe some coin hunting in parks.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
1beachcomber (Aussie guy)
Life's a Beach”

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and hobby.

This detector is not up to the task of being a quality finder. At the beach it will get a couple inches in the sand, but will not work in the wet sand at all and become very unstable where you won't know if you have a coin or not.

I understand that when you are starting out you don't know if you will continue in the hobby and don't want to invest much money in the detector. But this one will get you started and if the detection bug has really bit you, you will soon want to upgrade. Keep reading the manufactures posts on their websites to learn more.

You will get a lot more satisfaction for the major brands like Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro and Whites, Fisher. These companys have quality metal detectors and good warrantys in case something goes wrong. Detectors made for the beach wet sand are more expensive than the land units.

Good Luck.
Sandman

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
That's the same detector I started out with a few years back. It did pretty well here on the white sand beaches on west coast of FL. Found a wedding band and a silver chain with it before I gifted it out to my nephew. Not sure how it would work in other types of sand/beaches. Wedding band was found in wet sand at waters edge.

I re entered the hobby a few months back and now have an ace 250. It works just about the same as the discovery you are looking at and is a tad cheaper. Still waiting for my first gold with the ace but you definitely wont miss any coins or silver with it.

If beaches are going to be your primary hunting grounds sandman is most definitely right. Odds are pretty high you will end up wanting a dedicated water proof beach detector. If you are 100 percent sure you don't want to do any wade hunting there are several detectors with a beach mode to help in hunting wet sand. Whites M6 comes to mind. The peace of mind from having a water proof machine is worth the added bucks IMO. You wont have to worry about water ruining the detector.

Looks like the Discovery detector runs about 299. If you are just wanting an entry level machine you could probably do a little better than that. The Ace 250 is only 212. Other Bounty hunter brands can be had for even less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread