Here you go: Quotes are the modern correction or I can't read it with question marks.
Franklin Ten
Feb the 29 63
Dear Mother I take my pen in hand to informe you that I am well as usual. I received your letter on the 19th of the month. Also one dated the 28th of the month. I was very glad to hear from you. We had very hard times now we (were) are in a scurmick (skirmish) most ever(y) day. I came very near being shot last night (cannot make this word out). I was on picket last night and I of course I was there for, as I never my every duty. I went out from the headquarters of the picket guard to put on a relief. I put on my relief and brought in the old relief.
(There is a line not visible.)
Half way to headquarters and I sent the men into headquarters and I went across to the other picket line to report which was about one mile. I approached the Videt as I supposed and I was halted and I was challenged by the questioning (not sure of that word) who comes there. A friend was my reply. Advance friend the Videt said I advanced when I had got within 10 paces of the Videt as I supposed he was he proved himself to be an enemy by shooting at me the ball past (passed) through my coat and shirt and slightly cut the skin on my shoulder. I drawed my revolver to my face and demanded him to surrender.
Page 3
Which he did not refuse to do I was fired on from a distance but to no avail. The reserve of the line approaching? that I was going to soon reinforced me then I was all right and ready the next time that revisit my neighbor picket, I will take some men with me. I enlisted in the regiment the 1 of September 62 a private. I was soon promoted to a corporal, served until the first of this month as first Cp when I was promoted to first duty sergeant. Pay is $17 per month which is good deal better than private pay.
Page 4
Mother, I would like to have you send me our liking (word?). You wrote that the little children wanted to see me, they don’t want to see me no worse than I want to see them. I lost Luicey Likeny (something like that), when we went over the mountain. I would like you to send another one to me.
Excuse mistakes in spelling and poor writing for I am in a hurry. Write as soon as you get this.
Send me some more Stomky (maybe S turkey, or corrupt language for tobacco?) for I can’t get them here.
Edwin J. Townsend
Ok, so who can figure out Luicey Likeny or Stomky? I actually think it's the same thing he lost going over the mountain he wants more of. You will get a PRIZE for the correct answer! How about a Civil War pair of bullets, genuine of course? No joke.
That is a GREAT LETTER.