RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you notice about this guy, other than the fact that he is dead? Look closely.

a32e03_eabdcbddf7094bec81db2d9ac0e0305c.jpg

Colorised photo of a dead rebel soldier, 1st Manassass.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone tried to help him. Oilcloth knapsack under his head, two bloodstained bandages on log and leg. Cartridge box is not over the shoulder, but attached to his belt. He has too much equipment with him.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As is the case with many civil war pictures, it is staged. They move bodies and place items for the picture.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that a coin in his right hand?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a half eaten Vanilla Moon Pie by his left hand!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call it sadistic, but I comb over photo's of Civil War dead to see if I notice any "changes" i.e someone took there shoes, were they bandaged, are wounds visible, etc. Photo's of the living offer great equipment reference as well.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No offense, and I respect your fascination with battlefield forensics, I think it's disrespectful to use photos of battlefield deaths of young Americans for a quiz.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No offense, and I respect your fascination with battlefield forensics, I think it's disrespectful to use photos of battlefield deaths of young Americans for a quiz.

Sure thing. Won't happen again.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty,

I've seen this pic before in one of my civil war mags and I have to agree with Pull tab, this was a staged photo, hence the extra equipment as Smokey pointed out and the cartridge box around his waist with upside down buckle. If not mistaken this young man was restaged for another photograph by the same photographers...

"D"

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These kind of photos give me a real sense of the horror that war was about. I find them fascinating. It makes me sad at the loss of life. The young men pictured had families. Its amazing that these pictures have the same affect on us as they did on the people who first viewed them over 150 years ago. Shock horror sadness.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first photo’s of the war were taken at Antietam. (This photo was taken at the Devils Den in Gberg. And was considered staged even back then if I remember correctly) the photo’s were put on display in New York and were credited for putting reality to the war and removing much of the romance.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also most of the tintype’s were “mirror” image. Some cameras in later 1860’s had “right” image lenses. Thus everything is reversed.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Call it sadistic, but I comb over photo's of Civil War dead to see if I notice any "changes" i.e someone took there shoes, were they bandaged, are wounds visible, etc. Photo's of the living offer great equipment reference as well.
Nothing wrong with wha you're doing. In fact I think it's good. You'r learning and expanding your knowledge. Many people at one time thought it was disrespectful to dissect a human body to further medical knowledge. I'm sure some still think that way today. Not me.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont agree with this being disrespectful, we are learning from it... I would welcome more pics of this nature and would participate in any "can you see it" photos, always fun...

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing wrong with wha you're doing. In fact I think it's good. You'r learning and expanding your knowledge. Many people at one time thought it was disrespectful to dissect a human body to further medical knowledge. I'm sure some still think that way today. Not me.

I just had a funny thought: No offense, but I am taking advice about dead bodies from a clown avatar, lol! Couldn't resist!

Dfxcobb

Dec 11, 2016
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
whites mx sport. DFX tesori tiger shark
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
agree 100% with pulltab staged photography. This was done on almost all the CW photos we see.(the dead) Like the reporters today..it makes a good story..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread