Help I.D. a Hamburg Arkansas Trade Token

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Dug this old trade token in my front yard. It is corroded pretty good, but still one of my favorite finds to date. One side says "Good For 5cents in Trade" and the other side says "the elite" across the top, "Hamburg", across the middle, and there is a big old hole right throught where the rest of the phrase should be. I have researched early businesses and fraternal organizations in Hamburg, Arkansas, but can't find any information on any pertaining to "the elite". I know someone out there can I.D. it.

Attachments

• token 2.jpg
    token 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 468
S

Smee

Hello neighbor. I live in Crossett. Nice trade tokens. You've probably found the answer by now, but thought I'd comment on the tokens anyways.

Don't know where the "elite" comes from. I used to work for Jack Carpenter, he might have known but he's moved away.

Did you check the reference section of the Crossett Library for local history of Hamburg? All of preacher Buchner's Ashley County history books are there.

Born2Late

Dec 28, 2013
Southern US
Detector(s) used
Only budget models; Beginner, with no real experience with brand names
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you've found it by now, but I looked in Tom S. Robinson's "Arkansas Merchant Tokens". Under Hamburg, it listed only tokens shipped to Blanks Motor Company in 1926 - and doesn't describe them. However, there was a business called "The Elite Confectionery [sic]" in Hamburg. At the site Forgotten Times of Hamburg, AR, there are pictures of this business, one dating from 1927-1931. Apparently, it moved around but was in business until at least the 1950's. If Blanks ordered tokens in 1926, the Elite Confectionery might also have done so at about the same time. Hope you find out.

bluelodge

Dec 29, 2013
arkansas
Detector(s) used
white pro 800 garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello friends in Ashley County...let's all get together sometime!!!!!!!!!!

Tabawash

Jan 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Father owned and operated the Elite Confectionery, and the "Forgotten Times of Hamburg, AR" is my blog, so naturally I am interested in this. I have no knowledge of the tokens, but would like to know more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread