What's new

Help ID an Ancient Coin

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
1,132
Reaction score
690
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'm trying to ID a very smooth and worn ancient coin given to me by a Belgian relative. Now he doesn't speak English too well, so the details are limited and may be confused. He strongly claims to me that he found this in a field on his farm in Belgium. Other than that he didn't say anything. I assume he must have cleaned it (and probably did a number on it but he didn't know any better) because it's so smooth, and was probably very worn to begin with. It's fairly heavy and shiny like silver so I assume it to be so. I can't give the weight unfortunately but I can give a size comparison to a US quarter. The obverse seems to be a head either wearing a helmet or a wreath. Very strange to me that it's left facing. On the reverse is I think an eagle, although I suppose it could be Pegasus. Sorry I don't have much to go on. I guess he could be pulling my leg about the whole thing and it could be fake! Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503961289.815573.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503961317.951703.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503961328.772672.webp
 
I like the coin....looks silver and hopefully someone can help you out as I'm curious

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
 
Upvote 0
looks phoenician with an eagle like that, or a token of some sort.
 
Upvote 0
I agree, it looks over cleaned & silver. I have no reason to think it is not ancient, however, it doesn't look like any Northern European coin that I have seen.
I look forward to an ID.
 
Upvote 0
SAY WHATTHA HELCK. NEET.
 
Upvote 0
I'm seeing Greek. 1st-3rd century BCE. Athena facing left, in Corinthian helmet on the obverse. Reverse seems to be Pegasus. Hard to really narrow it down more than that with such extensive wear. No idea how it could have gotten to Belgium. Anyway that's just what I'm seeing, could be way off.
 
Upvote 0
I like "Lgc's" call of a Corinthian helmet but I see an eagle with spread wings on the reverse versus a horse.
Don......
So do I.
But you know how bad my foreign coin knowledge is. Looks like it maybe uninscribed as well (anon).
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could it be a generic celtic imitation of a greek drachm?

Would make more sense in Belgium than a straigt Greek coin.

Greets Namxat
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom