What's new

Help id this medal button Maybe state seal silver $ size

chark21798

Full Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
211
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
This is the size of a silver dollar. Gold colored has plow sickle pitchfork ect... Maybe a badge back looks like stem or button shank. Any ideas would help me out. found in south jersey field.
 

Attachments

  • 105_0030.webp
    105_0030.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 298
It is close to this design I think... ?


http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200101.htm

200101.image2.jpg


UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM
I really enjoy metal detecting and recently found this item in a wooded area near my home. It is made of brass, and the front shows a sheaf of wheat, a plow, and some other farming implements; the back is filled with lead. During the same hunt, I also dug three Indian Head cents dating from the 1870s and '80s. Any idea what it might be?

Answer 2 It's a mid 19th century bridle rosette, and is sometimes referred to as a "Tennessee state seal" rosette because of the design's similarity. However, the real seal has a cotton plant on the right, and also an early freight boat below; so, it's a possible but wobbly attribution. In the past, I've seen these priced between $50 and $75, and that's still a reasonable, "real world" range, according to rosettes specialist Charles Nash of Stone Mountain Relics.
 
Upvote 0
chark21798 said:
This is the size of a silver dollar. Gold colored has plow sickle pitchfork ect... Maybe a badge back looks like stem or button shank. Any ideas would help me out. found in south jersey field.

we need to see the reverse, but I agreed Rosette is most likely :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom