What's new

Help ID

Trad

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2015
Messages
28
Reaction score
60
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the pictures aren't better. I will try to upload additional pics this evening. For size reference the piece is similar in size to a Three-Cent piece.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210918_024023214.webp
    PXL_20210918_024023214.webp
    610.4 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20210918_010841988.webp
    PXL_20210918_010841988.webp
    512.6 KB · Views: 112
button with Hourglass design, missing the shank:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Neat find.

I think you'll find it's a 'Memento Mori' wax seal stamp missing its handle. With a bit of enhancement to your picture, I believe I can see the word "TIME" (at the 'top', as presented here) but in reverse letters, as would be the case for a seal stamp:

Time.webp

Here's the positive impressed result from a similar one, with the hourglass and the inscription "TIME IS SHORT". This one was said to be Georgian, but with no evidence to support. Victorian would be more likely, I think.

Memento Mori.webp
 
Upvote 0
Neat find.

I think you'll find it's a 'Memento Mori' wax seal stamp missing its handle. With a bit of enhancement to your picture, I believe I can see the word "TIME" (at the 'top', as presented here) but in reverse letters, as would be the case for a seal stamp:

View attachment 1948069

Here's the positive impressed result from a similar one, with the hourglass and the inscription "TIME IS SHORT". This one was said to be Georgian, but with no evidence to support. Victorian would be more likely, I think.

View attachment 1948070

You are amazing Redcoat! We are lucky to have you!
 
Upvote 0
Agreed 19th C Wax Seal
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom