What's new

help identify this please

collector01

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
1,377
Reaction score
1,142
Golden Thread
1
Location
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a old home site where I found colonial pipes and pewter buttons before and I found a 1865 indian head. It has a small hole in the middle maybe for a pin. It has a knights head on top with a up side down piramid with sords and axs in it. Its about 2 1/2 inchs by 1 1/2 inchs. If you need better pics I will try to get some thanks for the help. Oh and the makers mark on the back is not all there but I see HWAA_S.__S CO. and below it ___kee.
DSCN3776.jpg

DSCN3780.jpg

DSCN3777.jpg
 
looks like a part of a sword sheath for decoration let me find a pic of wht i mean
 
Upvote 0
This is a shield from the Knights of Pythias. There are many versions shown on the internet. The center portion of yours has detached which would have held more decorative items. They were attached to about anything related to the organization. Awards, swords, grave markers, etc. Again, there were many variations.

Here is a quote from their official website.

"History of the Order

The Order of Knights of Pythias is a great international fraternity which was founded in Washington, DC, February 19, 1864, by Justus H. Rathbone, and embraces more than two thousand subordinate lodges in the United States and Canada, with occasional lodges having been formed elsewhere. The primary object of fraternal organizations is to promote friendship among men and to relieve suffering. Each organization adopts some outstanding principle as its objective. The individuality of an order is determined by its ideal sentiment. The distinguishing principles of the Order of Knights of Pythias are "FRIENDSHIP, CHARITY and BENEVOLENCE".




Here are some photos of some examples of the shield. You can find others by searching Knights of Pythias Shield, on Google.
 

Attachments

  • knights3.webp
    knights3.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Knights4.webp
    Knights4.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
I think thats a good ID Chief.
 
Upvote 0
Good deal! I had actually seen something related to the Knights of Pythias about a year ago in this same forum. I didn't remember the organization but did remember that it was one of them.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom