Help identify

AdAstra

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found near Orchard Beach, NY on Hunters Island NY. Native Americans lived in the area as well as early European settlers. It's made of stone. 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. 20210709_212127.jpg 20210709_212231.jpg 20210709_212205.jpg 20210709_212136.jpg

Last edited:

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and welcome to TNet. Help us help you by giving us the dimensions and photos of all sides. Also any known details of the area where it was found including history.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for including some extra pictures & dimensions. While I'm not sure what your find is 2 observations strike me: 1) The straight lines at approximately right angles in the first photo; 2) the faint diagonal lines in the second photo. So you've got a good eye.

If your find isn't IDed here, consider posting on the Rocks/Gems or North American Indian Artifacts sub-forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm intrigued. Is it stone or ceramic? The marks on the end make me think it might be a seal but never seen one like it. Sure could be native American.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AdAstra

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm intrigued. Is it stone or ceramic? The marks on the end make me think it might be a seal but never seen one like it. Sure could be native American.

I thought it was stone but my fingernail can scratch the surface of it. Does that mean it's ceramic? Is there a test I can do to see what type of material it is? It is heavy. It was found underneath rocks, low tide on the beach of hunters Island. So for most of its time it was underneath salt water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my amateur opinion, when I look at the first and last pictures the "neck" and "shoulders" of the piece appear so uniform - it is as if whatever this thing is was shaped by man. It doesn't look ceramic to me. Zooming in on the first picture it kinda looks like granite. If the nail you used was as hard as a steel file (6.5 on Mohs hardness scale), then it could've scratched a piece of granite (6 on Mohs hardness scale). You can continue checking hardness using the mineral appearing on this website -> https://geology.com/minerals/mohs-hardness-scale.shtml.

Orchard Beach has been part of a park since the 1930s and what was there before that might be found looking at some history books & old maps of the area. These may hold a clue as to what purpose this whatzit had.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AdAstra

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I edited my post. My fingernail can scratch the surface of it. It's heavy and feels like stone. But I'm unsure now since I can scratch it pretty easily.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, yes now I see you did post at 11:47 AM, sorry I'm brain dead after watching my wife shop for clothes for 4+ hours. Since it has been constantly exposed to salt water, it may be waterlogged (thus the heavy feel). That exposure may also have softened it - thus your fingernail scratches it.

If other TNetters don't come through w/ an ID, consider showing it so someone at the nearest natural history museum or geology department at a university and see what they think.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soapstone makes sense. Apparently it even repels water and is heavy also.

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Rub it with your thumb & forefinger then rub those fingers together. Does it feel like you have rubbed a bar of soap ??

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If A Fish Or Meat Was To Get Hammered...This Might Do The Trick?

I wonder if this might be a head of a small early Native Hammer Head?

attachment.php

The flat part would go against a flatten wooden handle and the end groves would hold tight the leather fastening straps.

Found in an area called Hunters Island a small hammer could have been quite useful!

Attachments

• stone-t-ools.jpg
    stone-t-ools.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread