Help identifying brown material in gold ore

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working an 1800's tailings, i am personal friends with the land owner and he recently had several pieces of ore and drill core samples assayed with good results..I have crushed several samples and have not found much free milling gold, but my pan was almost completely full with pyrite. From the assay samples showing almost 1oz PT gold, 6oz PT Silver, 11oz PT copper and small amounts of Platinum and Cobalt. I am thinking that the gold must be locked up in the pyrite. What is the best and most economical way of extracting the precious metals from this, and also does anyone know what the brown material is that's mixed in the quartz?? Thanks in advanced!!!

ForumRunner_20130411_194828.png

ForumRunner_20130411_194838.png

ForumRunner_20130411_194851.png

ForumRunner_20130411_194902.png

ForumRunner_20130411_194916.png

ForumRunner_20130411_194927.png

View attachment 776306

View attachment 776307

View attachment 776308

ForumRunner_20130411_195026.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130411_194808.png
    ForumRunner_20130411_194808.png
    700.2 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks pmgsourdough, but I'm almost positive its not iron..this stuff is a milk chocolate brown and soft. Layered kinda like mica and some with a slight reflectiveness if broken and exposed. Its very much harder than mica but def softer than iron..idk!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hematite, a variety of iron, can be very soft and crumbly. It's iron that's well on it's way to good old dirt.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I cant tell much from the pics, but it sounds like limonite most likely after pyrite. It also sounds like your ore is what is called refractory (google refractory ore) and you must treat the sulfides first to recover the majority of the gold. This can be done many ways, but the most economical is probably going to be grinding to powder then roasting. Keep in mind you are going to have lots of nasty stuff in those fumes so you don't want to breathe them. After the roast you could use almost any method of gravity separation such as a miller table or a shaker table to keep costs down. I am sure some here will tell you to use a leech/smelt/ mercury recovery based system but all that is more dangerous to use then the stuff I mentioned.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Astro..will def look into that!!!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Astrobouncer - many hard rock mines went belly-up due to "refactory ore" although assays showed good values.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like hematite to me too. One of the iron oxides. (Hematite is Iron oxide III - Fe2O3 Magnetite is Iron oxide II,III - Fe3O4). Very common around here. Soft and crumbly when it's on the surface. Only slightly magnetic. You need a neodymium magnet to pick it up. Take apart an old dead hard drive from a computer. They have 2 really powerful neodymium magnets in them. I bet you can pick up specks of the brown stuff then.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Homestake Gold Mine in Lead SD mined refactory ore from about 1880 until it closed in 2002. It pulled millions on dollars from it in that time but cost over ran the price of gold. Bet they wish they could open it back up now. They used the leaching proccess. I toured the mine in 1993 down to the 6800 ft level on a special tour they gave to the company I worked for at the time. We did a lot of equipment repair for them. It was very cool tour. Your ore looks alot like the type of ore they were mining at the time.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool B H, I appreciate it..so from what it sounds like, doing anything with this on a small scale as far as processing any of this stuff wouldn't be cost effective?? There is an estimated 10-20k tons of tailings on this property that is hate to see just go to waste..also 2 incline shafts that we are working on accessing eventually. With the assay figures, it just makes me sick to think it wouldn't be worth at least trying to extract the gold and other metals from this..

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working an 1800's tailings, i am personal friends with the land owner and he recently had several pieces of ore and drill core samples assayed with good results..I have crushed several samples and have not found much free milling gold, but my pan was almost completely full with pyrite. From the assay samples showing almost 1oz PT gold, 6oz PT Silver, 11oz PT copper and small amounts of Platinum and Cobalt. I am thinking that the gold must be locked up in the pyrite. What is the best and most economical way of extracting the precious metals from this, and also does anyone know what the brown material is that's mixed in the quartz?? Thanks in advanced!!!

You might try these folks........ they will buy the ore from you and do the refining and you get paid.
Contact Us. We buy gold black sand concentrates, gold ore, and silver ore.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heap leach method is best bang for your buck.... but that is not to say it is easy. TTC

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure that any form of recovery would be profitable considering the costs and amount of time invested, however you could have a ton of fun trying!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread