Help identifying recent find

Ga_relicman

Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I was an everyday visitor to this site and hunted for relics every chance I got. I've found my share or nice relics but haven't hunted much these past years. I don't know if this is the right forum for my post if it's wrong please move it to where it needs to be. Today I went to a garage sale in a small Georgia town that has a rich pre and post civil war history. The home was a very nice big two story house that the owner said was built in 1870. First thing I see when I get out of my truck is a detector he's got for sale. My conversation with the owner went to metal detecting fast and I asked him if he had hunted his yard. His answer was yes and then he said let me show you a couple of my finds. This is where I need some help. I'm clueless to what he has. The egg object is a non furious metal that's gold plated. I don't know if it was some type of child's toy or what. It's mighty heavy I would think to be a toy for a child. The other object is just a big metal ball with a square hole all way through. Can anyone identify what these two things are?

Attachments

• 20190726_133523.jpg
    20190726_133523.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190726_135019.jpg
    20190726_135019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Upvote 4

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The egg is a sock darning egg. (probably late 1800's)

Used for sewing repairs to the heel of socks, while maintaining the curvature of the sock around the foot.

They are most often wood, and handled... but many times metal or stone, and without a handle.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other piece looks like a weighted base for a tool with a pedestal mount.

Most likely a cobbler's form

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread