What's new

help identifying time period.

intensecrasher

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2014
Messages
258
Reaction score
247
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt a Mississippian site and I am starting to find older artifacts that are washing out of the hill. Can anyone help me identify the time period on these scrapers and point? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140827_110802.webp
    ForumRunner_20140827_110802.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20140827_110819.webp
    ForumRunner_20140827_110819.webp
    31 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20140827_110846.webp
    ForumRunner_20140827_110846.webp
    30 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20140827_110858.webp
    ForumRunner_20140827_110858.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 103
  • ForumRunner_20140827_110929.webp
    ForumRunner_20140827_110929.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20140827_110946.webp
    ForumRunner_20140827_110946.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
So you hunt outside of California ?
 
Well they used scrapers in all periods and the point is quite crude cant see the flaking. Nice finds though
 
Where are these from? I don't think there are any true Mississippian sites in California.

Scrapers are hard to get an age on unless you have Points to date them with. Scrapers were used from Paleo all the way through to late Woodland. Your Point looks like a Triangle type which is normally a later culture from 1000 AD to contact in a lot of places.
 
Why don't you hunt in California? I have seen some spectacular pieces come from that state and I have a nice tray of pieces from California.

I have no idea of where to hunt legally in Southern California. I have found sites but nothing more than debatage on the ground. I know where sites are in iowa and farmers uncover stuff every year. I would love to hear some tips from California hunters!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom