What's new

Help Iding a 5ct stone from a 14k white gold Pendant.

RyanOShea

Full Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
155
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac. Ex2. X-Terra. Garret pro pointer. Fisher Headphones, Whites headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help to ID this stone. Is it Aquamarine? Do I really not know my own birthstone? Actually. I only know very little about stones. I know a real diamond, Emerald and Ruby. And others. But, this one I dont. Here is what I can tell you about it.
Its 5ct. Very crisp and clear. It was from a very nice 14k solid white gold setting along with two small diamonds. Its been hanging around for sometime now. And lately I have been extremely curious about it.
 

Attachments

  • AquaMFront.webp
    AquaMFront.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 268
  • AquaMFront.webp
    AquaMFront.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Aqua?Back.webp
    Aqua?Back.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 241
  • Aqua?Finger.webp
    Aqua?Finger.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 233
Rasputin said:
trixie charger said:
where was it found? It is definitely white topaz! the blue tint meant it was subjected to heat hence where it was found. They get Blue Topaz from heating the cut White Topaz for an extended period of time.
I collect gemstones and without a first-hand evaluation, I believe it is a very pale aquamarine/beryl. Irradiation and then heat treatments cause the blue tint in treated blue topaz. I would think that the tint would be much darker if this were a treated topaz. While it could be a natural pale blue topaz, I still think it is aquamarine mainly because it is fairly included. It appears to be native cut and I don't think anyone would bother to cut an included pale blue topaz as they are practically worthless. An aquamarine just makes more sense to me. With that said, it is nearly impossible to positively I.D. a stone from a picture. Refractive idices and specific gravity of the material must be known usually for a positive I.D. Although there are exceptions such as Iolite, where the pleochroism is unique to that stone and a dead giveaway.
Could you please take a look at this stone as well? People are saying its Jade.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=358388.msg2570649#msg2570649
My guess is they are right from what I have seen. But, if you really know your stones. Your input on this one would really be helpful. thanks.
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

Could it be a Cubiz Zirconia...most Cubic Zirconia rings have 14kt settings. The synthesized material is hard, optically flawless and usually colourless, but may be made in a variety of different colours.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Could it be a Cubiz Zirconia...most Cubic Zirconia rings have 14kt settings. The synthesized material is hard, optically flawless and usually colourless, but may be made in a variety of different colours.

SS

This was from a pendant. Not a ring. However, I do know what you are saying about CZ's being in rings. I see them all the time in 10k-14k rings. And this is definitely not CZ. I have enough CZ's laying around I know one when I see one. I literally have an entire box full of them. From black to blue ones, small to big ones. And cuts and shapes of all sorts. The thought never even crossed my mind of this being a CZ. This is a stone of some kind that has a slight blue hue to it. What kind of stone....I dunno. The cut, and faceting on the back make this an interesting stone. And if it where CZ it would be sparkling from the front in a rainbow of colors. This shines, but has no sparkle of multiple colors to it. Its hard to explain. Its a really neat stone. Just wish I knew what exactly it is. :dontknow: Thanks for the idea though. and taking time to post it.
 
Upvote 0
Could you please take a look at this stone as well? People are saying its Jade.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=358388.msg2570649#msg2570649
My guess is they are right from what I have seen. But, if you really know your stones. Your input on this one would really be helpful. thanks.
[/quote] Could very well be jade. But most jade these days is dyed the shade of green to mimic the desireable imperial jade; much less valuable than the real thing. Also, as another person pointed out, it could also be serpentine, bowenite, or one of many other stones that are sold as jade. Only a specific gravity test will tell you for sure. Look on the internet for the method to calculate specific gravity for a stone and since you already have a set of scales it should be easy to do it yourself. For that matter, you can verify whether the other stone is aquamarine or topaz. Her is one URL to do that: http://www.jjkent.com/articles/specific-gravity-determinations-gems.htm
 
Upvote 0
Rasputin said:
Could you please take a look at this stone as well? People are saying its Jade.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=358388.msg2570649#msg2570649
My guess is they are right from what I have seen. But, if you really know your stones. Your input on this one would really be helpful. thanks.
Could very well be jade. But most jade these days is dyed the shade of green to mimic the desireable imperial jade; much less valuable than the real thing. Also, as another person pointed out, it could also be serpentine, bowenite, or one of many other stones that are sold as jade. Only a specific gravity test will tell you for sure. Look on the internet for the method to calculate specific gravity for a stone and since you already have a set of scales it should be easy to do it yourself. For that matter, you can verify whether the other stone is aquamarine or topaz. Her is one URL to do that: http://www.jjkent.com/articles/specific-gravity-determinations-gems.htm
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The ring the "jade" came from was off an older ring. early 80's or late seventies. There about. I will go check out the links you provided. thanks. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom