What's new

Help Iding a 5ct stone from a 14k white gold Pendant.

RyanOShea

Full Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
155
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac. Ex2. X-Terra. Garret pro pointer. Fisher Headphones, Whites headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help to ID this stone. Is it Aquamarine? Do I really not know my own birthstone? Actually. I only know very little about stones. I know a real diamond, Emerald and Ruby. And others. But, this one I dont. Here is what I can tell you about it.
Its 5ct. Very crisp and clear. It was from a very nice 14k solid white gold setting along with two small diamonds. Its been hanging around for sometime now. And lately I have been extremely curious about it.
 

Attachments

  • AquaMFront.webp
    AquaMFront.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Aqua?Finger.webp
    Aqua?Finger.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Aqua?Back.webp
    Aqua?Back.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 241
  • AquaMFront.webp
    AquaMFront.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 246
Lots of possibilities on that one.. could be a white topaz, could be a diamond.. honestly am not sure. best to take it to a jewelers or gemologist.
 
Upvote 0
Bootybay said:
Lots of possibilities on that one.. could be a white topaz, could be a diamond.. honestly am not sure. best to take it to a jewelers or gemologist.
Definitely not a diamond. Topaz....I will look it up. And post a couple more pics of this stone.
If I knew where to take it. I would. So I use this forum. thanks Tnet.
 
Upvote 0
MiloPDog said:
Topaz is my guess as well. Not quite dark enough to be smoky though.

Milo

That seems to be what everyone is saying. So i bet everyone is right.
As a note, there is a light blue hue to it. That does not show up in the picture.
 
Upvote 0
where was it found? It is definitely white topaz! the blue tint meant it was subjected to heat hence where it was found. They get Blue Topaz from heating the cut White Topaz for an extended period of time.
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
where was it found? It is definitely white topaz! the blue tint meant it was subjected to heat hence where it was found. They get Blue Topaz from heating the cut White Topaz for an extended period of time.
It was found at old house I cleaned out. it was set in a 14k white gold pendant setting. The blue tint, is very soft. And hard to notice. It just gives it a slight coloration so you know its not just clear. I dunno anything about Topaz. But, it weighs 5karats.
 
Upvote 0
Rough uncut Topaz. Both stones come from these. Your stone would have to be re-sized to get the luster back, but should go for $30 as is to a jeweler.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0023.webp
    DSC_0023.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0
stefen said:
What are the possibilities that its glass or crystal :coffee2:
Who puts glass into a 14k gold setting?
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
White topaz
That looks a lot like mine. I added some additional pics. So, check those out.
The original picture of the stone I took, it was dirty. I rubbed off the filth. And put it between my fingers like you did. See above.
Also, again. It weights exactly 5ct on my scale. So, its a good size stone. Very clear and nice. And was in a 14k white gold pendant.
A friend of mine said it might be a type of tourmaline? And that the blue topaz is radiated to give it a blue color.

????

Im leaning on the Topaz side of things.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Definitely not tourmaline trust me it is Topaz!. Naturally occurring blue topaz is quite rare. Typically, colorless, gray or pale yellow to get the blue, material is heat treated or irradiated to produce a more desired darker blue. The "Jade" may well be, but there is a chance it could be Aquamarine or a number of other stones, it's very hard to tell from photos as they all are similar.
Many minerals are sold as jade. Some of these are: serpentine (also bowenite), carnelian, aventurine quartz, glass, grossularite, Vesuvianite, soapstone (and other steatites such as shoushan stone) and recently, Australian chrysoprase. "Suzhou jade," "Styrian jade," "Olive jade", and "New jade" are all really serpentine; "Transvaal jade" or "African jade" is grossularite; "Peace jade" is a mixture of serpentine, stichtite, and quartz; "Mountain jade" is dyed dolomite marble.
As you can see very hard to tell lol!!!
 

Attachments

  • aquamarine.webp
    aquamarine.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 298
  • jade.webp
    jade.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
The stone is a lot better with it clean, I assumed it was already cleaned lol!! sorry $30-$50 as is. If you irradiate it you get a Very bright stone, the one I posted was only heat treated to still show the crystal look. Jade can vary in price extremely so without seeing in person its hard to say. I see you like the Baboons lol!!!!! this was front and center at the Zoo, kids were loving it lolololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have anything else let me know?
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
The stone is a lot better with it clean, I assumed it was already cleaned lol!! sorry $30-$50 as is. If you irradiate it you get a Very bright stone, the one I posted was only heat treated to still show the crystal look. Jade can vary in price extremely so without seeing in person its hard to say. I see you like the Baboons lol!!!!! this was front and center at the Zoo, kids were loving it lolololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have anything else let me know?

The Jade, came from a 14k gold ring. And it was a good size ring. Someone told me it was a 100$ piece of Jade. Others just said its definitely jade. Others don't know. I was told since it didn't have any of the white lines it was a nice piece. But, what type of jade they didn't know ext ext. I frickin wish I knew. I had no idea it has potential to be worth some money. GLAD I popped it out. Before selling the gold. Always make more money doing that, then selling scrap with stones in them. You get burnt. I will take some better pics and post em so you can see more detail on it.

So, you took that pic? hahaha! Monkeys.....
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
where was it found? It is definitely white topaz! the blue tint meant it was subjected to heat hence where it was found. They get Blue Topaz from heating the cut White Topaz for an extended period of time.
I collect gemstones and without a first-hand evaluation, I believe it is a very pale aquamarine/beryl. Irradiation and then heat treatments cause the blue tint in treated blue topaz. I would think that the tint would be much darker if this were a treated topaz. While it could be a natural pale blue topaz, I still think it is aquamarine mainly because it is fairly included. It appears to be native cut and I don't think anyone would bother to cut an included pale blue topaz as they are practically worthless. An aquamarine just makes more sense to me. With that said, it is nearly impossible to positively I.D. a stone from a picture. Refractive idices and specific gravity of the material must be known usually for a positive I.D. Although there are exceptions such as Iolite, where the pleochroism is unique to that stone and a dead giveaway.
 
Upvote 0
Rasputin said:
trixie charger said:
where was it found? It is definitely white topaz! the blue tint meant it was subjected to heat hence where it was found. They get Blue Topaz from heating the cut White Topaz for an extended period of time.
I collect gemstones and without a first-hand evaluation, I believe it is a very pale aquamarine/beryl. Irradiation and then heat treatments cause the blue tint in treated blue topaz. I would think that the tint would be much darker if this were a treated topaz. While it could be a natural pale blue topaz, I still think it is aquamarine mainly because it is fairly included. It appears to be native cut and I don't think anyone would bother to cut an included pale blue topaz as they are practically worthless. An aquamarine just makes more sense to me. With that said, it is nearly impossible to positively I.D. a stone from a picture. Refractive idices and specific gravity of the material must be known usually for a positive I.D. Although there are exceptions such as Iolite, where the pleochroism is unique to that stone and a dead giveaway.

Someone told me it looked like an Aquamarine too. Two people actually. Here are some more pics.
 

Attachments

  • AquaBackfacet.webp
    AquaBackfacet.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 273
  • AquaMFront.webp
    AquaMFront.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 251
  • AquaMScale.webp
    AquaMScale.webp
    16 KB · Views: 262
  • Stonesw\'Dime.webp
    Stonesw\'Dime.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
Definitely not tourmaline trust me it is Topaz!. Naturally occurring blue topaz is quite rare. Typically, colorless, gray or pale yellow to get the blue, material is heat treated or irradiated to produce a more desired darker blue. The "Jade" may well be, but there is a chance it could be Aquamarine or a number of other stones, it's very hard to tell from photos as they all are similar.
Many minerals are sold as jade. Some of these are: serpentine (also bowenite), carnelian, aventurine quartz, glass, grossularite, Vesuvianite, soapstone (and other steatites such as shoushan stone) and recently, Australian chrysoprase. "Suzhou jade," "Styrian jade," "Olive jade", and "New jade" are all really serpentine; "Transvaal jade" or "African jade" is grossularite; "Peace jade" is a mixture of serpentine, stichtite, and quartz; "Mountain jade" is dyed dolomite marble.
As you can see very hard to tell lol!!!

Added new, better pics of the Jade?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=358388.msg2570649#msg2570649

see if these new pics help.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom