LI.history.Digga

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bullets.jpg I dug these two bullets at a park in Brooklyn NY that dates back to the 17th Century. They are probably modern bullets but any info on type and approximate age would be much appreciated. They both appear to be lead filled slugs. I have never seen one like the one on the right. Was that made flat at top or is that from hitting a target? Thanks

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Most look modern to me. Keep an eye out hunting that park.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. The Spitzer on the left is a full-metal jacket of post WWI from a rifle (design is still in use) and the other appears to be a jacketed pistol bullet of about the same (within the last 100 years).

The shape of the pistol bullet is the result of having struck something - water or soft soil by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long one is a modern rifle bullet, a good measurement would identify the caliber. The other one if copper jacketed looks like a .45 ACP (automatic Colt pistol) slug that ran into a wall. It is modern also although the .45 ACP came out in 1911. I'm thinking all the Brooklyn parks have been pounded for years and I hope you have the required NYC permit to hunt parks. Just a hint, any bullet with a copper jacket is a fairly modern slug. Also welcome to the site, hope you find some great things with your new 600! Some cool stuff comes out of Brooklyn, I have a civil war era eagle breast plate that was dug in Brooklyn in a latrine pit at an old encampment site.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions