Help Iding relics found yesterday...

S

skyrider

Help Id'ing relics found yesterday...

I posted this under "Today's Finds", but no one seems to have any ideas over there so I thought I would try here.? Sorry for the cross-post.? Just would like to know what this is...

Here is the post in the other forum with pictures.? All the pictures I have of it are in that thread, but I will post a couple here also.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,7839.0.html

The object has "DIETZ? ?275" in raised letters around the edge.? Not sure of the material, but it was quite deep and was not corroded at all.? Same with the set screw...it was only slightly corroded -- would still be usable today though.? They were in the same area...I was thinking they came from the same object.

unknown1.jpg

screw2.jpg

screw3.jpg

Any ideas as to what it is or its age?? It was found approximately the same depth as a shell casing we found in the same park that was manufactured in 1904.

Thanks for any clues!

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
Re: Help Id'ing relics found yesterday...

the cilinder shaped object (silver one) I would have to say its the top of a car door lock from an old car
the top pic i really cant tell almost looks like a id plate that goes in under the windshield of a car

Mav

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Id'd Both I think on your other Post. I agree With MAV in the Bottom one & I.D'd it at the Same Time ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skyrider

Sorry about not putting a scale reference in there -- the silver colored thing is less than an inch long.? Looks like a thumbscrew...the head of it is about 1/4" dia.

At first, we thought the black object was part of a transit or something of that nature, but the only thing we could locate on Dietz was lanterns and vehicle lights.? If you look at the pics of the black thing in the other thread, it appears to have been round in shape at some point in the past.? Also, at its widest aspect, it's about 3" across.

Gosh...I really need to put scale references in my pics from now on.? Sorry about that...I totally forgot!? :(

Thanks for the replies, folks!!!? ? :)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

at less then an Inch, I'd still say Door Lock. Threads Inside "

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skyrider

Wow...that would be a REALLY tiny door lock...then again, I've never seen any really old cars up close.? The oldest was my 1952 M38A1 (military Jeep) and it didn't have doors.? ?;D

Hmmm...well, if I have a door lock and part of a headlight, maybe my friend and I should go back out there and see if we can dig up the rest of the vehicle.? :)

BTW, also found a lot of pieces of thick copper wire, about 8" or so in length...almost the same gauge as an interior conductor of Romex.? About 6" down.? Not sure about the source of that...this is all in a big park now.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas everyone!? You're so helpful!!

Upvote 0
S

SASQUASH

I bet that park don't have any lights tonight. HA HA just kidding SASQUASH

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The little silver looking thing looks like the wick adjustment screw on an old" coleman"type lantern.The other rusted metal object looks like, a piece of the part of the lantern that the globe sat on.I don't think it's a headlight bezel.Just my 2 cents worth,h.h.-diggummup!

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

The silver piece looks like a knob to turn the light on a small desk lamp or a stem to a large pocket watch

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

If it were a headlight bezel, perhaps the knob is for adjusting the level of the beam?

Upvote 0
C

cachenut

Dietz - they make surveying equipment. Might be a lense cap off a transit or other survey device someone dropped years ago in the field.

Upvote 0

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al

"Dietz 275" ....hapless UBoat Commander...and what remains of his Stupfoltz Katzensjammer Kaputleif. ;) :D ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

skyrider

cachenut said:
Dietz - they make surveying equipment. Might be a lense cap off a transit or other survey device someone dropped years ago in the field.

That's what I thought when I first found it to, but the company we were thinking of is Dietzgen...not Dietz.

Dietzgen also made some pretty wicked slide rules too... ;D

Thanks for the ideas folks!

Upvote 0
C

cs1969

The first pick is probably the base of an old Dietz kerosene lantern. They still sell these in stores here in the US, I have 2 of them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread