What's new

Help me Identify this stone

Omentaco

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, just wondering whether anyone can help me identify this stone I found?
I've been trying to find information about the type but seems I'm running around in circles.

WIN_20210729_10_43_04_Pro.webp
WIN_20210729_10_44_36_Pro.webp
WIN_20210729_10_43_53_Pro.webp
 
It is, indeed, a stone.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to tnet!

It might help if you explain in what general area (state, county) this object was found. Also, if it was a surface find or dug out of the ground?
 
Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to Tnet. Based on the first picture it kinda looks quartz-like. More and better pictures would also help ID.
 
Upvote 0
Your stone is crystalline Calcite. Its outer shape got rounded smooth by tumbling around on the bottom of a fast-moving river for many-many years. Then it somehow got broken more-or-less in half, which exposes the distinctive identifying form of the Calcite crystals. I know about this because waaay back in my college years I was a Spelunker (cave-explorer), and I saw many broken Calcite stalagmites, which had that same distinctive "internal" crystalline structure.
 
Upvote 1
Maybe Pyrophyllite.
 
Upvote 0
I guess no response from the original poster?
 
Upvote 0
There is an area near here that you can find those stones that are similar to your example. We, I refer to them as ''Indian Marbles'', though not actually used by the Native Americans. The ones that I have found, all have the similar structure of lines radiating out from the center. As mentioned in the sixth post, they are a type of calcite.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom