Help me pick a GPS

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Ok so here is what I am looking for. I need a GPS that will allow me to be on site and save a location, then take it with me and upload that location on the computer. I am looking to mark several locations, then print out a map with all of them on it. Does anyone know of a GPS that would allow me to do this. Thanks.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not all basic level GPS units can do this. You have to make sure that it has the ability to upload and download to/from your computer.

On top of this, you need a mapping GPS that can plot trails of where you went, with waypoints of special sites you want to mark.

I use the Garmin map60 csx. I carried it in Iraq an like it enough to recommend it to others. It's water proof to about 10 feet, easy to use one-handed, has expanable memory for larger maps, can download maps, can take an external antenna.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have a strong recommendation to whatever your choice might be-

Try it in the daylight, before buying! I've had a Magellan Platinum for the last 4 years. It's display was acceptable, but wanted something new that- 1. had better mapping 2. had a better display in daylight 3.batteries lasted longer (2 alkalines last 6-8 hrs), and 4. something new.
I did a bunch of researching and found a lot of guys liked the Garmins, so I looked at the Oregon 300, at a local store. Display wasn't much bigger but looked clear. I bought the 300 and the Topo mapping program Mapsource, to use on computer. In the house playing with it, or garage, or in vechicle- the display is fine, but get out in the daylight= not good, at least in my opinion! Especially, when mounted on the quad, but even when hand held. The display just isn't bright enough for me. Battery life- it lasts 2-3- 6 hour trips which is fine.
Oh, and on mapping programs, I wouldn't get the Mapsource program again, but would get the individual mini-disks for your area and hope that could be put onto the computer also.
This is all my opinion and my .02s worth, don't make it into anything more

Shep
I experimented this afternoon with both the Magellan and Garmin and believe the Magellan is better. I have an e-mail into Garmin support, to see if there is a possible problem w/ mine.

Oh,

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an absolute mint 60cs for sale if interested. It will do what you want with a free Garmin pc program called Basecamp.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions