Help needed from fellow canucks, banks denying me boxes of pennies

vantite

Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I began copper hoarding 5 months ago, up until last week I could can boxes of pennies ($25) here in Canada, but now banks are saying no. They don't state a reason. A few banks give me a box a week saying the other banks cannot legally deny me from withdrawing a form of Canadian currency if they have it in stock, it doesn't matter if it's pennies, nickels, or dimes.

The problem isn't that the banks don't have pennies they're just deny them to me. One bank I went to had a trolly of 15 boxes but right when the transaction was about to be completed the teller says he doesn't think this is allowed and says he can't do this. Can you please explain what I can say to the banks so they stop this nonsense. What legal mumbojumbo can I bring up (I can't find the law the other banks have been referencing)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vantite

Upvote 0
Didn't Canada stop making cents? I read on line that all boxes were going to be shipped back to the mint. Because they stopped using the cent they can do whatever they want I would guess.

On Monday, retailers finally started rounding cash transactions to the nearest nickel in cases where neither party can produce enough pennies -- this to account for the fact that the mint also began, on Monday, its new procedure of melting and recycling all pennies received by banks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/tag/canadian-penny-discontinued

Last edited:
But that doesn't mean it has stopped being currency, it is still legal tender. I'll tell you about my local TD who still give me pennies, they had somebody deposit 3 $50 Canadian 1 ounce gold coins, when I requested my pennies they told me they also had $50 coins and I snapped them right up. Banks shouldn't be able to deny currency on stock, if you have money to withdraw or exchange it for. I don't know which law I should be looking at for my reasoning, but I've gone thru 2 already (Canadian Currency Act and Banking Act).

Canadian Cent pieces have not been legally available for distribution from any Canadian bank since February 4th of this year. Please, PM myself in regard... as to where I may procure a box or two?

dang, i enjoy finding those in the us cents. its nice to see a fresh face now and then.

dang, i enjoy finding those in the us cents. its nice to see a fresh face now and then.

I save all my copper Canadian. I think Americans will be able to keep pulling them from cent rolls for some time. I get ten to twenty per box, similar to the amount of wheats I pull.

Off topic, but I got quite a few canadian cents, one from 1942 in my last penny box.

It makes since to me, they have stopped making them but they won't be completely out of circulation for a while and I can see them just wanting to hang on to some till the bitter end. They would rather be prepared then give them all away.....just my 2 cents:thumbsup:

So I guess no one knows what law I could mention to get some pennies....

I get a lot of Canadian money down here in Fl. We get a bunch of people who come down for the winter and then they must try and unload all of their change before they head back home. I like and save the pennies and nickels but don't care for the dimes that much even though I still keep them so my dump rolls are clean. Maybe some day I'll take a vacation to Canadian and pay for everything with dimes.

Hey Vantite, maybe you should just switch from hoarding copper to gold if they are just giving away 1 oz coins at the banks up there. You can always come down across the border and get some good old American cents if you are unable to get anymore up there, eh.

I get a lot of Canadian money down here in Fl. We get a bunch of people who come down for the winter and then they must try and unload all of their change before they head back home. I like and save the pennies and nickels but don't care for the dimes that much even though I still keep them so my dump rolls are clean. Maybe some day I'll take a vacation to Canadian and pay for everything with dimes.

Hey Vantite, maybe you should just switch from hoarding copper to gold if they are just giving away 1 oz coins at the banks up there. You can always come down across the border and get some good old American cents if you are unable to get anymore up there, eh.

If you are wondering about where to go in Canada, I could give you suggestions.

I did $30 in cents yesterday, 2 Canadian, 2 dimes, 2 wheats, $9 in copper, and $1.73 in 1982s. My favorite denomination to search. I wonder if those boxes on ebay are any good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back