What's new

Help/Opinions Please

rockheadhunter421

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
350
Reaction score
193
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just this one picture, but I'm wondering which one in this NC collection would be the most valuable? I see that Hardaway in there, but I'm not sure if it's the most valuable one in this collection I'm deciding to buy. I already know what the guy wants to sell them for. The main one I have a question about is the bell-shaped one that is a white-banded material. I was told that one should be the most valuable and that it looks like a ceremonial blade. If it is a ceremonial piece could this one be like a Ross type? Does anyone have a Ross in their collection that they could share/describe or could someone help me determine what would be the max value I should be looking to pay for these? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7148.webp
    IMG_7148.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
Looks like a Gahagan, but slightly small. Woodland period. Related to a Mineral Springs which is much larger 5in + and very valuable.
 
Looks like a Gahagan, but slightly small. Woodland period. Related to a Mineral Springs which is much larger 5in + and very valuable.

I just researched those types. Looks like you are right or very close. Those types were in the Southern Central U.S. section of my Overstreet guide. It seems odd that a type normally found in Texas was found in NC. However, I've seen gar scale arrowheads, that were collected in NC, in a Mississippian display at my local library, so I do believe there was an ancient chain of trade. I wonder if that type could be considered like a ceremonial blade in NC anway? I still pretty much believe my buddy who said it was a ceremonial blade. What do yall think about it being a ceremonial blade in NC?
 
Last edited:
I would sure wait for somebody familiar with N.C artifacts to chime in. A texas point shouldn't be in a N.C collection. Do the materials match N.C? Why is it a ceremonial blade @ 2'?
 
Last edited:
We arent allowed to buy or sell Ceremonial blades here in GA. So I would say that a nice blade you have the chance to buy
 
I would sure wait for somebody familiar with N.C artifacts to chime in. A texas point shouldn't be in a N.C collection. Do the materials match N.C? Why is it a ceremonial blade @ 2'?

Yes, it's NC materials too. Like I said I asked a friend, in person who knows NC artifacts, and he said he thought it looked like a ceremonial blade b/c he couldn't type it either. Also, I have seen Gulf Coastal materials or heard about them being found in NC; for example, gar scale arrowheads found in Yadkin Co. (Mississippian cultures lived along the Yadkin River), Coastal Plains chert, and my buddy has red translucent flint broken arrowheads he found in the southern Piedmont of NC. I know that seems out of the normal quartz and rhyolite artifacts in NC, but I've actually seen that first hand. I do kind of believe it but I wanted to see what the consensus of the forum has to say. Rege made a very good guess I think. I am wanting someone else from NC to chime in also.
 
Last edited:
Maybe a Copena? There was an articular, if I recall right, in the Central States Journal some time back about a cache found in N.C. I think they looked just like that one.
 
Maybe a Copena? There was an articular, if I recall right, in the Central States Journal some time back about a cache found in N.C. I think they looked just like that one.

Thanks for your help! I will definitely consider that type. Also, I believe these were found in Union County, NC near the Baucom Site (the 2nd Hardaway site).
 
In the article (again if I recall correctly) that's what they speculated they were. A little ways out of the normal range with is Tenn. I believe.
 
In the article (again if I recall correctly) that's what they speculated they were. A little ways out of the normal range with is Tenn. I believe.

I wonder why a type that is normally found out west, would show up here in NC anyway (whether they traded, traveled or didn't do both)? Even though it is not that long, you think it could still be for a ceremonial purpose? That is the key that is persuading me to buy this collection. The guy that has them don't know the types, other than the Hardaway and I believe he is asking a pretty good deal (esp.if that one in question is ceremonial).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom