help technical coil question please

findit

Jul 1, 2007
don't mean to keep asking the same question but can someone explain or post a drawing on the difference of a small coil vs bigger. for example they say there is a different pattern of flux lines that are closer together. staying on the concentric do they all extend past the edge of the coils and by how much? do they extend the same distance on all sizes? are they all cone shaped in the ground? what makes the pattern different? is it the way the coil is made inside? is that why most gold detectors have a coil of only 5 inches wide for the tighter pattern? just trying to get a better understanding if anyone can help or is it a trade secret on how different manufacturers make them work the way they do? any help would be appreciated ???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not be able to answer these questions as there is just to much to type. I suggest you visit this site as it gives some info on the coils and the fields. Though it's a Garrett site, it applies to all coil types by all the manufactures.

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/techsupport/techsheets.htm

The other manufactures may have this coil information for you too. There are a few good books that you should read too, including, DETECTORIST A How-To Guide to Better Metal Detecting by Robert H. Sickler.

In fact everyone should read this book.

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I've bought two detectors and other items from Tony at tcdetectors and there were no hitches at all. Tony gets my next order!!!! It's good that kellyco responded AFTER you posted your problem here. Put that in the category of better late than never.

Jim

OP
OP
findit

findit

Jul 1, 2007
thanks does the book have explenations on some of that stuff?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The book has many explanations and diagrams, pictures, drawings, etc to explain things in simple terms. Anyone could learn a lot from it, even my brother in law if he could read........... :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread