Help to ID Old Cattle/Cow Bell?

coolcurio

Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,:hello:

I'm new to this forum and hoping you guys can put me out of my misery by helping me identify this lovely old bell. Having spent weeks trying to research and identify the makers marks and the unusual symbol (star?sun?) :BangHead: I really need a second pair of eyes on this one now!

I believe it's foreign as the person this belonged to (sadly passed away) was Turkish and of Eastern Orthodox faith. He travelled to France and Canada and on pilgrimages to Tibet and China..if this helps. Although it looks like brass it's patina is brown, not blue. So I'm assuming its bronze as it's a relatively heavy bell too. Measures 12 x 7 cm approx

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dee

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coolcurio

Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this. Orson Starr came up when I first researched but on looking further into OS Cowbells their makers marks are all seemingly 7 pointed stars and raised, not an 8 pointed star outlined?

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this. Orson Starr came up when I first researched but on looking further into OS Cowbells their makers marks are all seemingly 7 pointed stars and raised, not an 8 pointed star outlined?

yeah, was just kind of a guess. the mark could have some meaning other than a makers mark. the eight pointed star is also found in ancient Islamic culture from what I've read

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coolcurio

Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that's also. What do the initials look like to you? Appreciate your opinion, thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread