vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jereomp! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - How about some dimensions? My first thought is one of the peep holes in the top middle of a very old (and large) entry door :).

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
Found in the water, or found in the dunes?

It certainly "looks" old, but it doesn't have the "look" of something that spent time underwater or buried in dunes, it doesn't seem to be weathered.

Any chance it came from inside of a building, and was mislabeled or misidentified on accident (or on purpose) as being from a wreck?

Even family legends can be wrong, I've known a lot of people whose grandfather swore an item was one thing, when it really was something else.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Speculating that folks living near the coast would be quickly aware of any wreck in their vicinity and just as quick to salvage anything of value that washed up or was accessible to them.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does not look to have been found on a shipwreck...

I see little evidence that piece of wood was at sea, nor part of a shipwreck on a beach.

sorry

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I actually own a piece like this believe it or not.

And it was part of the interior of a galleon that was beached in Key West according to the legend behind it.

AND... it is remarkably similar in style in some ways to your piece.

I am curious... I would like to see any hardware... or nails etc close-up pictures if possible.

My piece has VERY similar carving style.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's hand carved and looks work-a-day in execution, as in could have been made by a ship's carpenter with a few chisels and a moulding plane, not a fine piece made on shore for the officer's quarters - or a work-a-day piece that was produced in a country community and never saw the sea. The design appears to mimic decorative iron strapping fastened with rivets. Doesn't evoke something particularly marine as far as I can see. There are those curious ears next to the 'spear points'... and a 'knob' in the center? Quick work, rough in finish. No sign of paint - suppose it could have had some kind of oil finish or varnish at one time. Wood might be ash.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hand carved and looks work-a-day in execution, as in could have been made by a ship's carpenter with a few chisels and a moulding plane, not a fine piece made on shore for the officer's quarters - or a work-a-day piece that was produced in a country community and never saw the sea. The design appears to mimic decorative iron strapping fastened with rivets. Doesn't evoke something particularly marine as far as I can see. There are those curious ears next to the 'spear points'... and a 'knob' in the center? Quick work, rough in finish. No sign of paint - suppose it could have had some kind of oil finish or varnish at one time. Wood might be ash.

To me this definitely has the look of being painted.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is a rose the ears are thorns, it is not an English Rose, as they have five sides, could have been on a ship, the rose is a religious symbol offering protection, goggle it.
This one was on the Mary Rose 1545
rose.jpg

This is the day it came up
Picture 410.jpg

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok, so there we have it - crown of thorns, cross with rose at the center. Looking Catholic rather than something else...

It is a rose the ears are thorns, it is not an English Rose, as they have five sides, could have been on a ship, the rose is a religious symbol offering protection, goggle it.

View attachment 1833681

This is the day it came up
View attachment 1833682

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very interesting thread that may help many of us with information.

.... I would like to see any hardware... or nails etc close-up pictures if possible....
While the image in my avatar is too small to be used for a cabinet hinge IMHO, it did still have a fastener attached to it. (Found in the vicinity of Corrigans wreck in Fl., 1715 fleet)

Interesting that you have a cabinet door. How thick is the cabinet door? The distance from the head to the bend in the nail on my hinge is about 1/2", so I'm assuming that is the thickness of the wood it was attached to.

To me this definitely has the look of being painted.

"Pickling" ( sort of a wash with stain or paint) often has this look to it. I agree that if the OP's door was recovered soon after wrecking it wouldn't have signs of being submerged.

Attachments

• JewelryBoxHinge_RetainedNail5_Closeup_NoScale_June2018.JPG
    JewelryBoxHinge_RetainedNail5_Closeup_NoScale_June2018.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 52
  • JewelryBoxHinge_HingePinKeeper3_Closeup_ofOpening_NoScaleJune2018.jpeg
    JewelryBoxHinge_HingePinKeeper3_Closeup_ofOpening_NoScaleJune2018.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 52
  • JewelryBoxHinge_Retained Nail_w_RulerScaleJune2018.JPG
    JewelryBoxHinge_Retained Nail_w_RulerScaleJune2018.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 63
  • JewelryBoxHinge_Height1_w_RulerScaleJune2018.JPG
    JewelryBoxHinge_Height1_w_RulerScaleJune2018.JPG
    899.9 KB · Views: 52
  • JewelryBoxHinge_BacksideRetained Nail1_Closeup_NoScale_June2018.JPG
    JewelryBoxHinge_BacksideRetained Nail1_Closeup_NoScale_June2018.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 49

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very decretive, most hinges are hidden on the inside of a door or chest/ box, it prevents them being tapered with Hidden from view there was no need for them to be attractive to the eye. whatever that came of was high value, Mybe a bible box or personal items held with in it, great find and item that connects to the 1715 fleet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... mine is of unknown age... it has been said that it is REAL early... 1600's.

It was as far as I know never submerged.

And it is not a cabinet.. it is a piece if interior carved molding rail with a large medieval hanging hook.

It has remnants of original paint even.

Carving in it looks very similar in workmanship as seen here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread