Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having trouble reading the date. at first I was almost sure it was 1889 but now I’m thinking 1869… thought I’d ask some used to reading fuzzy dates… I have a site I suspect has civil war aged stuff but I haven’t got a hard date on much, so 1869 would be exciting to confirm that range. 1889 could just mean some farmer around 1900 lost a penny
IMG_7837.jpeg
IMG_7839.jpeg
IMG_7868.jpeg
IMG_7866.jpeg
IMG_7860.jpeg
IMG_7857.jpeg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely 1869, a new hub was made in mid 1886 which changed the orientation of the lettering. An 1869 would be a type 1 1889 would be type 2. This is definitely a type 1, you can tell by the positioning of the A in relation to the last hair curl.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys it may be an Indian head, but it’s the oldest coin I’ve found with a date on it, and is a great clue about the site, and while it was probably dropped a little later is was minted right around the time this area was opened to settlement so could be talking an original structure. Also could mean the shield nickel from that spot could be around that date. Don’t think I can do anything more to tease that one out, it’s probably gone

IMG_7873.jpeg
IMG_7875.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something called "Nic-A-Date" Date Restorer is made just for that, helps to see a date that may be VERY hard to read. Yours IS pretty toasted, so it may not bring the date out.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Quite a bit of damage to both coins.

I agree with 1869 on the cent. Even with damage, that is the only possible conclusion, based on the visible markers in your images.

The Shield is a different story, but the condition is so poor that nic-a-date may be the only solution. I would still give a day or two in acetone to help lift any debris from the coin prior to any chemical treatment. It has helped me with a few slick Buffaloes.

Time for more coffee.

Edited for spelling.

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda looks like 1889 a lot of time what works for me is snsp a picture and zoom in . Good luck

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you got $20 you would be doing REAL good.
Hi ARC
I would be willing to purchase 1869 One Cent Indian Head pieces for $20.00 all day long.
Beats my investment in Silver Coins.
PM me!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ARC
I would be willing to purchase 1869 One Cent Indian Head pieces for $20.00 all day long.
Beats my investment in Silver Coins.
PM me!
In THAT condition... no problemo... you can find them yourself at most decent coin shops.
Perhaps even by the roll at less than 5$ each.
I passed on an entire roll of them today (various dates i did not even care which) at the flea market .... MY price (which is cheaper beings i am known for this)... was $70 for the whole overfilled tube.

I passed because all were bad browned and corroded.

And obviously so did the others that may have seen them before me... due to the fact i was very late arriving.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In THAT condition... no problemo... you can find them yourself at most decent coin shops.
Perhaps even by the roll at less than 5$ each.
I passed on an entire roll of them today (various dates i did not even care which) at the flea market .... MY price (which is cheaper beings i am known for this)... was $70 for the whole overfilled tube.

I passed because all were bad browned and corroded.

And obviously so did the others that may have seen them before me... due to the fact i was very late arriving.
WITH that said....... if you are talking about flying eagle cents.... OR large cents.... they can get a little more pricey in moderately bad condition.
Which..... the OP's coin is... unfortunately.... in very bad condition.
Perhaps a restoration could help it... but personally IMO its too far gone.
In fact...... if i were to grade this coin.... it would ring in at... "below poor". (which is not even a grade heh)... "poor" beings the lowest ranking.
(sorry OP... no offense meant)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WITH that said....... if you are talking about flying eagle cents.... OR large cents.... they can get a little more pricey in moderately bad condition.
Which..... the OP's coin is... unfortunately.... in very bad condition.
Perhaps a restoration could help it... but personally IMO its too far gone.
In fact...... if i were to grade this coin.... it would ring in at... "below poor". (which is not even a grade heh)... "poor" beings the lowest ranking.
(sorry OP... no offense meant)
And to just be real and totally honest without fear of insulting the op's coin.

IF you were to sell it for $5... i would think he did well.

FOR.... i would ask about $2. heh (again no offense)

Three things for ANY coin to be "worth" buying... especially for any real money...

Condition condition condition,.

In rare cases it can trump it by being extremely rare.... which this coin is not.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense here I like it for the historical value more than monetary, the features are still fairly sharp but it is pretty well crusted over, the brown is where I stopped working it over with a tooth pick and oil, discuss away all I’m doing is learning, not many old coins dropped around here pre 1900 I’ve probably found 5 in 10 years of detecting on a regular basis

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense here I like it for the historical value more than monetary, the features are still fairly sharp but it is pretty well crusted over, the brown is where I stopped working it over with a tooth pick and oil, discuss away all I’m doing is learning, not many old coins dropped around here pre 1900 I’ve probably found 5 in 10 years of detecting on a regular basis
Cheerio O.... good play.
Its the history of that coin that is the "it" factor.

In other words... "The "it" dont matter... I still like it" factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think I actually finished my thought earlier but I have wondered when grading coins, dug coins are kind of different. For example one site says a “good” level coin shows years of circulation and most features are nearly erased. I’d say this penny actually has pretty sharp features but it’s obviously been through other harsh processes and it’s masked under verdigris and a stubborn crusty brown layer… I suspect that most grading sites aren’t accounting for dug coins but I’ve never known for sure how to grade it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread