Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think that when we went beach hunting..we were gonna find loads and loads of jewelry...It took me a spell to figure out...NO matter what detector you use...if it ain't there you "ainta" gonna find it no matter what detector you use. But, once you become dissatisfied with one it will be hard to convince you that it is a good machine..Good luck with your Tesoro..hope you have the best of luck.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
considering that the ace250 works great for me NOT on the beach..I may invest in the better coil... keep it as a second back up...but.... I still want a whites surf pi one.... thats my game plan......and will play with the other one thats due soon.... either way, I am determined to find goodies... I know you dont hit goodies all the time..I will win out on this one..as I am determined to do well..either way... come H*ll or high water, I will succeed.. just watch me..lol sides I have a laptop I can sell to feed my md'ing hobby...

Keep saying to yourself over and over..NEVER NEVER GIVE UP....

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace does not like the beach period...Not wet, or dry...It is better with the Sniper coil, but then you can not cover much ground.....The Ace is great for parks, and homesteads...I have hauled in alot of loot with mine, but it was crazy on the beach where I was (Galveston, TX.) I tried all setting, and sens level to no avail......Depth is not that great with the Ace anywhere, but it is adequate...Tom

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tom
thats why I am so aggravated with kellyco..I have purchased 3 detectors over the years from them..and I will never get another garrett off em.... I have had my fill of garretts..time to move on to a better machine for the area I am in.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootybay said:
tom
that's why I am so aggravated with kellyco..I have purchased 3 detectors over the years from them..and I will never get another garrett off em.... I have had my fill of garretts..time to move on to a better machine for the area I am in.

Well theres sure nothing wrong with garretts (Ive had 3) or whites (i had a nice one)..Ive got a BH also which is OK at best....But for the beach you really need a different kinda animal....I looked at the whites MXT real hard...It has a beach setting...Now I don't beach hunt so I kinda marked it off as more machine than I need...Think I'm gonna go with a garretts 1350....It seems more up my alley.....Sure seems like Minelab has a big following, as does some of the other more "exotic" brands...Hang out on the shallow water board, and see....Good luck, and sorry you had these problems.........The little Ace is just not a beach detector, even if some people use it there....

Foose

Apr 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 & Garrett Ace 250
bootybay said:
..time to move on to a better machine for the area I am in.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with this statement. I can only assume the Ace250 doesn't like the soil/mineral content in your area. I have the Ace250 and have taken it to Savannah, Ga. beaches and Destin, Fl. beaches and it did fantastic on those beaches. In fact I was more than impressed with the performance there. I could literally guess what I was pulling out of the sand every time I would dig a target and be right 99% of the time. Sorry you haven't had the same experience but you are probably correct in saying you need a different machine for the soil content you have up there. Good Luck with finding one that will do it for you!!

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,
First it takes time and u need to log some hours with ur machine. No matter how cheap or expensive a machine is, it takes time to learn it. Not throwing down some coins in ur backyard(no offense). The best way is to get out there and dig every signal noting what u find with every ID. Explore ur detector find out what it likes and dont like. I can say for the ACE 250 it has served me well. You should check out my video

I hope this helps and contact me if u have anymore problems!

CRACKBADGER

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crackbadger, I watched every video ya did...lol and watched your ace one too previously...I have had this machine for almost 3 months...I have tried everything..I have dug everything up thats come up..and still no luck... its just not right for my sandy beaches here... I have contacted many and those too that have it here..it works great in parks and so forth..but once I hit that sand...forget it... so now its wait for the new one to arrive... I had been out at least 5 days a week since having it ..if not more... so basically...this upgrade with a machine I can go into the dry and or wet sand and even low water...is extremely exciting to me... I do thank you for the time you've taken to write me here along with the others....but for my nj beaches here..its a no go.. so I will practice with my new white's and get that down pat and look out ..cause I will be one posting fool here for sure....

rae

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
draaiorgel said:
Erikk,
I wouldn't disagree with that, but the keyword is "sometimes".

We do it for fun and anything we get is a bonus, but dang we don't want to go to Australia if it's not within' 6 inches we don't dig. (that's not fun)
Bearing in mind that the vast majority of finds for all MDers are within the first 4 inches.
Anything that's deeper we'll get when the sand level goes down.
It's nice to show off one's finds but not at a newbie who's struggling a wee bit.
We're supposed to be encouraging, not dis-heartening them.

Ian & Eileen
The majority of finds are within the first 4 inches!! What wood chip pile are you hunting? If you want to collect clad and the occasional ring then I guess tot lots are the places to go with your Ace 250. People become frustrated with detecting because they are told that machines like the Ace 250 is the second coming and with a bit of practice they will be digging silver coins and diamond rings. Well maybe but not very likely. I wonder how many machines went over that diamond ring and just couldn't read it because it was so deep or waiting for the sand level to go down...also with the proper digging tools getting to 12 inches on the beach is 2 scoops and many times 3-4 scoops are needed if it is down near the 2 foot mark which I Can reach with either my excal or EX2

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erikk,
You can detect coins down to 2 feet???? WOW... The Ace is a good little unit, but depth is not on its list of good qualitys...Tom

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
An Excalibur on a quarter or an EX2 on the beach with a WOT-you betcha :)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
A WOT is a 15 inch diameter coil made by Coiltek :)

Attachments

• wot.JPG
    wot.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 348

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Bootybay I too was using a ace 250 on the beaches here on the west coast of Florida. I did not experience the degree of problems you seem to be having but became pretty well convinced that it was not the right machine for what I was trying to do.

Problem most likely is the fixed ground balance and single frequency is not right for your beaches. With it having a silent search only the only indication of problems is the constant falseing you are experiencing and there is basically nothing that can be done about in the way of adjustment when it comes to the ace.

I sold the ace and am heading out with a ebay sovereign GT this morning for my first in field experience with it. You can usually find one of these on ebay at a savings of a few hundred dollars and if patient one that is barely used.

Go to minelab site and DL the manual for the sovereign GT and read through it. May be the answer to your problems. It is said to be vary stable in the salt conditions. I will know for sure in a few hours and let you know how it went.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:

Oh ok thanks for the info...Erikk, when you gewt a reading that deep does it ID??? Or is that all metal mode, or what,??? Im not familiar with the unit you have...2 foot on a coin is crazy...I've never had a machine that awould get over nine, or so on a big quater sized coin.....Is it pretty heavy with the 15 inch coil??? Also how does it do with a smaller coil...Thanks again, Tom

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Murph.. the ace250 is history...I have a new whites M6 comming from tony on here... so am thrilled its due in any day now...

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Booty,
Good decision to get rid of the 250. If you have such high mineralization, why try to jack around with a machine that is totally inadequate for your soil conditions?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
gallileo60 said:
erikk said:

Oh ok thanks for the info...Erikk, when you gewt a reading that deep does it ID??? Or is that all metal mode, or what,??? Im not familiar with the unit you have...2 foot on a coin is crazy...I've never had a machine that awould get over nine, or so on a big quater sized coin.....Is it pretty heavy with the 15 inch coil??? Also how does it do with a smaller coil...Thanks again, Tom
That is for down here on the sand with no mineralization and easy digging with my monster sand scoop :). Most of the time I just go by sound (only way on an excal) and on the beach and in the water I pretty much dig all except iron. On the EX2 the WOT can get heavy but I use a swingy-thingy so it isn't a problem. Don't know what machine you are using but last july when I was up in NY state I dug a Barber quarter at a measured 13 inches with a Fisher f-75 which read dead on, sounded great and could have read it another 5-6 inches deeper with no problems, and a large cent at over a foot with the EX2 and a Sunray 12 in coil and that was in some pretty funky ground.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
The 250 is a good detector, but it's obvious there are mixed results on beach sand and in the saltwater. More often than not, it doesn't work well. It definately wasn't designed or recommended by Garrett for use at the beach. The KINGPULLTAB team has used it successfully in that application, but this is not going to be the case everywhere. Because of its fixed ground balance, the ACE 250 will not work out in all locations in it's role as a land machine. Modified: I think you made a good decision in taking Tony's advice/M6. That's the good thing about buying from a dealer as opposed to the big store. Tony obviously knows what he is selling you. That M6 by the way is really good on land. I've seen my pal pull out lots of good finds with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread