Help with Button ID

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
???
I was detecting at a residence here is Southeast Missouri the other night and found a button. The house was built in the early 1900's and I located this a few feet off the front porch. I have attached a pic of my button finds. This particular button is in the middle of the bottom row. It is a two hole button that says "MILITAIRES EQUIPEMENT".

I am also curious about the button on the bottom row to the extreme right. It too, is a two hole button with a sunburst pattern. I found this button in a very late 1800's to early 1900's school that is now closed. I have found quite a few wheat's there as well.

Well thanks for any help with ID on these buttons. I love this forum!

Attachments

• 100_2862.jpg
    100_2862.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_2862.jpg
    100_2862.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 277

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There is a French military button four-holer that reads "MILITAIRES EQUIPEMENTS" - Notice the "S" on the end...

Yours is, I believe, a civilian/domestic underwear button... Here are some other finds/info:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,1696.0.html

I swear to God that I saw one like it in JoAnn fabrics the other dayin he button isle!

Or... I'm wrong and you have a WW II French issued Military equipment/underwear button...

Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Can I just say that if this is in fact from the 1800s early 1900s I hate you and you suck and you cannot come with me any more when I go detecting!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You know I am just teasing, if that is in fact what it is I am very happy for you, you forgot to mention that this same location is where we found the early version pultabs from 1963-64!!

This guy is my detecting buddy for those of you that are concerned about my harsh language and a very good friend of mine, almost everytime we go out he has to find one more thing better than me ie I find a 1918 Wheat, my oldest coin so far, and he says "That's nice check out my 1898 IH I just found." I find a big chunk of copper grounding wire/rod from a utility pole and he finds three wheat pennies and this button you know the drill. I am wired funny I guess because I am excited and REALLY happy when one of us finds cool stuff! It doesn't have to be me who finds it to get me excited and keep me going because I know one day it will be that it will be me that finds something COOL! I hope you all are as lucky as I am to find such a good guy to go hunting with!!!

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
SWR said:
"Mle.1897/14 Toile de Tente Individuelle (individual shelter half) -- The shelter half is made of a waterproof tan canvas with metal Équipements Militaires buttons and grommets. It takes two of these shelters to make one tent."

Being the model is 1897/14 it could have been made in the late 1890s to early 1900s. Someone could have bought the shelter half in a surplus store and used for a drop cloth.

Except his button has no "s" after "Equipement". :-\

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Very Interesting. Thanks for the info you all! If anybody has anything to add, please do. This invitation does not include "Mastereagle22" who is no longer my friend. He is just a crybaby. LOL.

Just kidding...great hunting with you bro.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread