Lead shot vs Musket ball.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Hello

Found this item in a field that has a history that dates back to 1799, when the initial settlement was formed in the area. A general store opened up within 1/8th of a mile from the place I found this in 1820. There was a Civil War prescence of Union and Confederate troops in the area during the war and at least one major skirmish documented. Someone has suggest it might be part of a Buck and Ball load, I don't know. If you need different pictures just let me know. approximate size and caliber - 8mm, .31 cal I believe it Thanks.

Attachments

• bend1.JPG
    bend1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 549
  • bend2.JPG
    bend2.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 546
  • btop1.JPG
    btop1.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 524
  • bend1.JPG
    bend1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 406
  • bend2.JPG
    bend2.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 407
  • btop1.JPG
    btop1.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 406

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a pistol shot to me. Old type ie. contemporary with the musket.

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
.31 caliber lead round balls were used in percussion pocket revolvers ,buckshot loads,and rifles of 32 caliber.Could have been fired from any one of them.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hasbeen said:
.31 caliber lead round balls were used in percussion pocket revolvers ,buckshot loads,and rifles of 32 caliber.Could have been fired from any one of them.

hasbeen

Yeah, i'm backing hasbeen, sounds like he knows what he on about. Unlike me who makes it up as he goes along :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
hasbeen said:

hasbeen

So roughly what time frame are we talking here?

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a true artifact type ball it could date back before smokeless powder days from before the Civil War on up to the turn of the century. Usually those found to be that old are somewhat white and chalky while this one seems to be in pretty good shape. There are also several companies making reproductions of the original "squirrel rifles" that were made in small calibers, usually .32 caliber. The first and most popular cap and ball revolvers were mostly of .36 caliber, with the .44 caliber becoming more popular later in the era. It would be very difficult to date the ball you recovered unless there was something else found that might give you a better idea when it was in use. Monty

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
It's not old shotgun shot. It has a sprue where the excess lead was cut from the mold. That's probably an old pistol ball.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Monty said:
If it is a true artifact type ball it could date back before smokeless powder days from before the Civil War on up to the turn of the century. Usually those found to be that old are somewhat white and chalky while this one seems to be in pretty good shape. There are also several companies making reproductions of the original "squirrel rifles" that were made in small calibers, usually .32 caliber. The first and most popular cap and ball revolvers were mostly of .36 caliber, with the .44 caliber becoming more popular later in the era. It would be very difficult to date the ball you recovered unless there was something else found that might give you a better idea when it was in use. Monty

I am definitely going back with my friend and really cover the area. This area was settled in the late 1790s. According to everything I can find out the first settlers came to the area in 1793, the area is 2.8 miles from the Mississippi river and is fertile crop area. A few houses and a small church were built and then the church abandoned early in the 1800s and a small trading post was opened in the building a few years later when the Preacher of the church left. In the late 1820s a group of Germans settled the area and a larger General store and Lutheran Church were errected. The place this item was found was right across the field from the General store site. According to records the only CW battle fought in this area on record was 10 miles away. Maybe I can find something else in the field. I will let you know. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The answer might be "yes". A .315 or .320" ball works in a .32 cal rifle, a.31 cal revolver and as 0 ("one -aught") buckshot in a shotgun.

They used to be called "Swan Drops", but the name offended city folk. ;)

Muskets are heavy caliber, military arms by definition - .54 to .80 caliber. It may have been used as part of a buck-and-ball load in a smoothbore or "fowler" (civilian counterpart to a musket).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Okay guys, here is a follow up to the question of what is this? I took the item to a local "expert" on civil war items. He has been devoted to this pursuit for over twenty years and has so many CW items I couldn't count them all or believe all he has found over the years! Anyway he confirmed that this was a .31 caliber pistol round and that it probably dated from the mid to late 1800's given the material it is made of the condition and color of the shot and other items other people have found in the area where I found this shot. He does not think it is part of a buck and ball as he showed me a couple he had found and I have to say I agree with him. I still have not gotten back to the field because management has kept me busy with all kinds of chores and tasks! I am going on vacation end of next week for a while so it will be late July or early August befor I can get back. Since it has rained quite a bit lately I am really dissappointed because I think it would be easier to find something with the ground wet. Oh well I am also looking for a wide scan coil for the Deleon as the area in question is over 6 acres and I found the items in this field in a widely scattered pattern. I am planning on enlisting the help of two buddies with machines. So when I get back to the field and find anything I will let you know. Thanks

Upvote 0

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a pistol shot from first half of nineteenth century.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread