Help with Claw Bracelet

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this claw bracelet today at an old playground. It seems to be made of copper and was possibly gold plated at one time as there is still some gold here and there. Any help identifying it would be great. It appears to be the Seal of the US with the motto E Pluribus Unum.

100_0896.JPG 100_0901.JPG

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! I'm not sure it's a bracelet , the seal would be crooked when worn , how about a collar? imagine 2 flags crossed in an x on a wall in that position the seal would be vertical. Just guessing flags could be any thing in an x form swords maybe CanonBallGuy should be able to offer some clue or identify it outright! Good job again

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it has the Great Seal design which was originated in 1902,that's all I can tell you about it ,except great find!I agree with shawn somebody can probably tell you all about it .nice find:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a bracelet form a young woman or mother who knew a man or had a son serving in the army air force of the WW2 area. Looks like an officers cap badge. They refer to jewelry like it as sweetheart jewelry. That's my best guess.

Attachments

• cap badge.jpg
    cap badge.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be part of a grave marker flag holder. Is there a cemetery near by where you found it?

How about looking inside the small hole on the back to see if there is a screw or rivet holding the eagle onto the base. I think the eagle is supposed to be straight and not at a slant, and perhaps it got knocked crooked. What are the dimensions?

WELCOME to the forum and that is a really neat find!

:)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree. WWII Sweetheart bracelet. VERY cool!

tumblr_mikwgde2mq1rfehtgo1_500.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
blauer

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be part of a grave marker flag holder. Is there a cemetery near by where you found it?

How about looking inside the small hole on the back to see if there is a screw or rivet holding the eagle onto the base. I think the eagle is supposed to be straight and not at a slant, and perhaps it got knocked crooked. What are the dimensions?

WELCOME to the forum and that is a really neat find!

Breezie

No cemetery, just an old church festival field and a playground. Both saw heavy use up until the 1980s. The oldest coin from the site is an 1868 Indian Head penny.
The eagle appears to be attached correctly and the eagle itself measures 1 3/8 by 1 3/8 inches. Overall it is about 2 x 2 1/2 inches. The cover seems to made to slide off but I have been unsuccessful in doing so (trying not to break it).

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No cemetery, just an old church festival field and a playground. Both saw heavy use up until the 1980s. The oldest coin from the site is an 1868 Indian Head penny.
The eagle appears to be attached correctly and the eagle itself measures 1 3/8 by 1 3/8 inches. Overall it is about 2 x 2 1/2 inches. The cover seems to made to slide off but I have been unsuccessful in doing so (trying not to break it).

What is the diameter of the part that would fit on your wrist if it were a bracelet?

Was there a church there at one time?

Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
blauer

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the diameter of the part that would fit on your wrist if it were a bracelet?

Was there a church there at one time?

Breezie

Church within a half mile... it would fit on a petite wrist.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Church within a half mile... it would fit on a petite wrist.

Can you measure across the inside of the bracelet part because petite doesn't really tell us the inches.

Also, is the bracelet wrist part flexible meaning it could have been easily bent to wrap around a round base like a flag pole?

I'm not saying it's not a bracelet, but I've never seen a ladies cuff bracelet that has cut-outs on the side like yours. It looks more utility-like than feminine.

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blaur , does you're item open up as the example shown does , and can the seal be turned to orient vertically?

Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with breezie, cuff seems really crude for jewelry , plus more importantly on jewelry the seal would be engraved, stamped into the brass! This piece would be catching all cloth and hurt when contacted others

Upvote 0
OP
OP
blauer

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Blaur , does you're item open up as the example shown does , and can the seal be turned to orient vertically?

Cannot be oriented vertically. Does not seem to open... no clip or button of any kind.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still want to know the size of the wrist portion in inches. (3rd request)

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the people who suggest bracelet, didn't actually look at bracelets vs your item they have similar features but drastic differences , Your item is intended to be mounted on an angle , I sent a pm to The CannonBall guy hopefully he will stop in an offer an opinion!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Responding to ShawninNY's request for my input. But as I told him, I'm not an expert on bracelets. ;-)

I agree with Tamrock, Nhbenz, and DCMatt... it "most resembles" a post-1902 US Army sweetheart bracelet. That being said, it appears to be an uncommonly crude-made one, perhaps a one-of-a-kind made (or "converted")by somebody for his sweetheart. Note that the two others which are referenced in this discussion have a hinge, rather than the simple-to-make "claw" form. Additionally, the one referenced by Nhbenz has a "Made In USA
stamping, but this one's finder (Blauer) does not mention any maker's-marking at all on it.

Also... Breezie astutely noticed the cutouts -- which are not seen on the other two. To me, the cutouts seem to form a letter V atop a letter W. Perhaps those were the initials of the soldier, or his sweetheart. I can't think of any military designation those letters (VW) represent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
blauer

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can find no maker mark anywhere. "made" or "converted" seem reasonable... a lot of the old-timers here in this PA patch-town did for themselves. Thanks for all the info.

Responding to ShawninNY's request for my input. But as I told him, I'm not an expert on bracelets. ;-)

I agree with Tamrock, Nhbenz, and DCMatt... it "most resembles" a post-1902 US Army sweetheart bracelet. That being said, it appears to be an uncommonly crude-made one, perhaps a one-of-a-kind made (or "converted")by somebody for his sweetheart. Note that the two others which are referenced in this discussion have a hinge, rather than the simple-to-make "claw" form. Additionally, the one referenced by Nhbenz has a "Made In USA
stamping, but this one's finder (Blauer) does not mention any maker's-marking at all on it.

Also... Breezie astutely noticed the cutouts -- which are not seen on the other two. To me, the cutouts seem to form a letter V atop a letter W. Perhaps those were the initials of the soldier, or his sweetheart. I can't think of any military designation those letters represent... except "Volunteer Militia," which is from the wrong time-period for this bracelet. ;-)

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 1/2 inches and can be opened to a little over 3 inches.

Since the diameter of the 'wrist' portion is only 2 1/2 inches in diameter, which would fit a 5 inch wrist, it is too small to be a bracelet to fit an adult, and due to the heavy construction, I don't think it was made to be worn by a child.

I agree with the CannonBallGuy in that it looks 'homemade.' Since we now know the diameter is only 2 1/2 inches (stretched to 3 inches), I think it was a 'home' project constructed from a Great Seal pin/hat cap/or the likes for patriotic decoration to fit a flag pole or some other type of pole for decor.

Flagpole Trucks, Caps & Pulleys

How about a 'bracelet' for a pole? :)

Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions